almost everything is dead!!!!!!!!!

Varga

yesterday everything was happy, this morning 6 out of 10 fish are missing, sps are almost pure white, zoas are sealed, xenias are open but missing their pulsing hands. foul smell in the house pramaters are same as yesterday.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Yikes!! :eek:

Post all parameters that you can test for.
Was there a power outage?
What type of heater do you use? Is it controlled by a device?

SJS

??????! Parameters? Sand bed disturbance??? Heater malfunction? Electricity in the tank - powerhead short??
I'm so sorry for your situation, keep us posted...

Varga

temp right now 78.9
salt 0.026 as always
amonia cant find the darn test

nitrites 0
nitrates 0
ph 8-8.1

I'm doing a 30 gallon wc right now but I dont think theyre gonna recover from this one

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
have you started the drill? get the carbon going, aerate and water changes, hopefully some stuff will pull thru, be sending positive thoughts your way. Steve

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Same thing happened to me about a year ago. My heater exploded in the sump. Is the foul smell electrical? Can you move the fish to a QT. They need oxygen if it was an electrical malfunction as Steph suggested.

So sorry!

Last edited:

Varga

thanks guys/gals

if blue tipped acro is almost pure white means its dead? same with milli and a few more i dunno the names

should halides stay off today?

Frankie

RS STAFF
IS there polyp extension? If so then all is not lost.
What bothers me most is the quickness this happened in. When you say missing fish, you mean there just gone? Or have you found dead fish? Do what was suggested and check all your appliances. This could very well be a zapped tank. It could also be poisoning. Do you have anyone who was using chemicals around the tank? A cleaning lady maybe?
When you say salt at 0.026 you really meant 1.026 sg right?

tbittner

Did you keep an anemone? Or a puffer? Anything like those, when they die, pretty much take the system with them.

Varga

no anemone and no puffer. heaters are all working yes saul 1.026. so far I found one dead fish but the missing ones are the ones that never hide including my favarite cleaner wrasse who ate frozen food like a champ! theres no polyp extention whatsoever

just remembered one thing i did yesterday!!!! I installed my submersable pond pump on the skimmer. cleaned it well and it had been sitting outside of the pond on the lawn for about 3-4 months

tbittner

Letting pumps sit for that long tends to dry out the gaskets. Could it have leaked an oil based lubricant into the water? :dunno:

Frankie

RS STAFF
Shoot on a lawn all kinds of contaminates could have got on it. Theres the problem i bet.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Which tank in your gallery has had this misfortune?

I know it's hard, but try not to get discouraged. Curse, rant, cry, go through denial then search for the cause, clean it up and move on. Your RS friends will help you restock.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Do you have any local reefers who can help? How big is the tank? Can you relocated the live stock (not water) to another tank or location?

BarbMazz

I wish I could, but I can't offer any advice... I'm so sorry to read about your troubles.. I hope some of your creatures survive and you find the cause!

:cry1:

BoomerD

I wnt through a similar tank crash a few years back. I was using a titanium heater and it shorted out internally, which popped the GCFI and the tank went still over night. I lost over half my fish in that one.
I definitely can feel your loss.