a sad rescue

Status
Not open for further replies.

SueT

OMG, I hate that I only saw this now. My blood is boiling. That store owner has major bad karma coming for the lack of sympathy/care for one of God's creatures. I can't imagine being picked on which would of surely led to death if you hadn't stopped by that store.

Your rock Wit!!! Plus the guy's kinda cute hangin' out there.

Snelly40

he is really cute, i havce been thinking about an eel for my new tank, maybe a small snoflake or something

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Perhaps we can make Zebra a RS Sanctuary mascot or something. I know we all feel for him. He can be a testament to the strong will and beauty of coral reefs everywhere.

liljimmynorton

Dave Great Save!!!! Im a registered nurse and it hurts me more to see an animal hurt than to see a human injured. I wish a bad case of crabs upon the store owner and the twit that gave you lip.
Dave= Reef RN

crabs are ok in this instance!!!!

TomV

He actually looks happy, Wit! Karma to you!

This reminds me of what I did at my local Petco 4 months or so ago.

They had a Purple Tang which they had there for $130. No one wanted to pay that much for a fish. So, he sat there. They lowered the price to $100. No one bit. He sat there some more. This went on for 2 months I was popping in and out to get fish food, chemicals, etc. I would go over and look at him and the other fish each time just to see what they had, how they were doing, etc. This time, there was an "under observation" sign on his tank and he had developed Lateral Line Disease. :( I felt so bad for the fish! They dropped the price to $59 and I could tell the Tang was downright miserable being at Petco. So, I decided I would inquire about the fish. The Manager said he'd been trying to sell him for months but no one would buy him. I told him I was interested and he said that when I come back to pay for him (which was going to be in a week), he was gonna make me a deal for showing compassion for the fish. I came back in a week and he sold the fish to me for $30.

I took the tang home and put him in my 55. He hid for a bit, but seemed ok. Over the next few months, he ate like a horse and made a home for himself! His lateral line disease is still there but has been gradually disappearing as new scales have grown in. He still has it a little, but it seems like he is still progressing toward kicking the disorder!!

When I first got him, he looked like he was wearing a scary native mask like a headhunter, now he just has a few spots on his face and around his eyes. Down his sides, the affected area was about 1/2 inch wide on each. On one side, it's reduced to an eighth or so and it's just a single thin line down the other.

Here's what he looks like today. He's fat, sassy, eats like a pig, and NO ONE is allowed in his cave lair!

Note: If you look closely at the line, you can see dark coloration surrounding it which are his new scales. That is how bad his LLD was before!

PurpleTang.jpg

Sorry about the picture quality. He's LIGHTNING FAST and hard to get a good shot of!

lcstorc

I not only aplaud again your rescue but in the pics he looks adorable. I have never been a major eel fan though I have compassion for all life forms so your rescue even attempt is fabulous. This guy though seem to have real character. I anxiously await updates an he gradually improves in your reel. (What a face. You just have to love it. )
I would give you more karma but apparently I need to spread it around a bit firstl More coming at you once the system will let me. Not that you need it but your attempt to save this animal just plain deserves it.
Best of luck and please keep us updated.
I hope your efforts pay off but if nothing else you know you gave it your best try and a much better chance than where he was.

Witfull

actinics on, halides off...he has moved to the front and a bit more to the center of th tank.

Attachments

• zeb6.jpg
    zeb6.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 146

Rougiem

Ichthy Inquisitor
PREMIUM
Good for you Wit...It will take some time but seems to be doing much better!

Witty...The EEL Doctor! :)

TomV

The point of my post wasn't to hijack your thread and steal your thunder at all, Wit. I hope it didn't come off like that. What the moral of my little tale was : One can rescue fish and other critters that look really bad because it's AMAZING what TLC does! Sometimes, all ya need is love! :D

BrothaWolf

So glad he made it thru the night. I love eels! They have the best personalities. I had a snowflake for years. He would get so excited when I came near the tank. I used to hand feed him. Even though they dont see so well I still have all nine of my fingers.
Best of luck with him!

Frankie

RS STAFF
Thanks for the update Dave. I wondered what the ciderblocks would turn into and now i know. God has a plan for everything!

Status
Not open for further replies.