A bit off topic but...

Tuna

ok im posting here for some advise on a turtle tank for my mother. 3yrs ago i came across 2 baby painted turtles from our local lake. my mom loves animal and fell in love with these guys. They live in a 20 long right now with a small canister filter.For christmas id like to set her up with a bigger much better looking habitat.i can get a 55 gal tank from my buddy as soon as he sells his loinfish and grouper. hopefully the stand too. my main questions are...

i want to make a nice looking slope in the tank so theres land too and have some small plants from the lake too-but i dont want her to have a major chore of clean up. what can i use to make a soild landcape?

and does anyone know of some good water filters suited for this?

any advise would be greatly appreciated:alien:

RandyStacyE

My wife and I found a baby painted turtle and she decided to keep it. We ended up with a 75 gal aquarium because they get kind of big if they are properly fed and kept healthy. First of all they need to ‘bask’ under the proper lighting. We use reptile bulbs and clamp on reflector from our local pet store. For a long time we used a floating platform that is sloped. It’s called a ‘floating turtle dock’.
9761266020B.jpg

This worked for a while then one of her turtles began chewing it to pieces. Now we use bricks/block to prop up a platform. One thing that is very important when it comes to keeping a turtle is to keep in mind that they live for decades. This is a long term responsibility and should be done right. Doing it right will also make life so much easier on you. Ideally you would want an aquarium that has been drilled so that it has a built in overflow. This makes life so much easier and makes for a more efficiently running aquarium and maintenance will be much more effective. If you don’t or can’t drill the tank, I would build a siphon overflow. You might say “why not just buy an overflow”? The problem is I have not seen an overflow for sale that will work on a tank that is kept about 2/3 full at all times (we don’t want the turdlers jumping out of the tank) so we don’t fill it completely. Here’s my DIY Overflow Page:
http://randystacye.com/diy_overflow.htm

Turtle_Overflow_05.jpg

I would definitely use a sump, UV sterilizer (turtles can give you salmonella) and use filter socks. Canister filters are a pain in the U know what. A decent size return pump is important. Turtles are dirty and fresh water systems are much more maintenance than salt tanks. I use RO/DI water for the turtle tank. My wife started with the plants and I ended up yanking them out and tossing them in the trash shortly after. Plants can make huge mess, clog just about everything etc... I don’t know much about maintaining plants properly, she didn’t either and neither of us was all that interested; the tanks were enough for us. We keep snails that we find in the wild, I find them helpful, they are cute and reproduce like wild fire. We keep a Pleco (algae eating sucker fish) and some of those bottom feeders/cat fish which help as a maintenance crew.

DIY Filter Sock Page:
http://randystacye.com/diy_filter_sock.htm

The turtles started out as my wife’s hobby/responsibility, the tank began to get nasty and I had to help out. She now cares for their health and I take care of the system. I made the overflow, sump (Rubbermaid tote), filter sock, installed the UV sterilizer (JEBO cheapo – works great), and a Little Giant Aquarium Pump; now the system is pristine!

I would go on some turtle forums to learn how to properly feed them. My wife hand feeds hers and they are sweet and very personable. They love going outside, respond to their names and are very intelligent. My wife would be more than willing to answer any questions RE: turtle care – hers are very healthy. Don’t hesitate to ask if you have any questions.

I hope this has been at least a little helpful.