65 gallon mixed reef build

blackwater

Hello and welcome to my new thread:hallo: I am about to start a 65 gallon mixed reef tank. during this time im gonna keep my 29g fowlr going, then merge it with the 65g. word of warning this will for the next little while probably be a slow thread, because im not setting this up untill i have everything i need to do it. the 65g is 36" long, 24" tall and 18" deep. i will be re-using my 200watt jager heater. other than that i need to put together a equipment list. i have 2 hydor evo 750 power heads in my 29g that i will re-use later when the new tank is up and running. here is what i think i need.

skimmer...on that is rated for far beyond 65gallons and will fit in a 29g that is 18" tall.

power heads....have the evo's but think i could use a mp10 or something.

lights.....thinking of a 36" 6 bulb Tek HO T-5 fixture.

sump...would like to use my 29g(30"long x 18"tall x 12" deep) and what i need to make it a sump..ie filter socks, glass dividers, pump(what make and size).....

i have an ro/di unit already.

all equipment that i buy for this i plan on re-using later when i upgrade again, thats why i want the skimmer to be over powered.

any help with what i need to build this is very welcome

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
The beauty of an upgrade is u add as needed. I like where ur headed.

..........I live my life as a warning to others.

blackwater

thanx guys. the tank is currently running as a freshwater tank. not gonna take it down untill i have everything i need. i'm calling the lfs i bought the tank from to find out if its tempered or not. i really want to drill it.

Willie McDaries

glad to see you have decided on the tank and the 65g makes a great looking display as well,looks like a good solid plan on everything,if I were you,I would seriously consider DIY LEDs but the T5s are gonna be less power hungry and less heat than MHs.....Vortech MPs are always an excellent choice for water movement....looking forward to this build :D

blackwater

i really can't say this enough.....i love this forum. its great having so many people to bounce idea off of and get support from. my first tank so far is doing way better than i thought it would have....thats all because of the people of RS. this hobby is so money hungry that without the help/mentoring that i get from RS i would never of considered upgrading. thank you.

blackwater

first thing i wanna do is build a stand and canopy. i really need some help here. i got all the tools i need. number one concern is i don't want it breaking, need it to hold the weight of a 65g. here are the tank dimensions 36 long x 24 tall x 18 deep. and i want to put a 29g standard size tank in the bottom as a sump. thinking 2x4 frame and then some kind of nice wood to cover it in and stain. also thinking double doors on the front. would need large canopy in order to get the right distance from the water surface to the lights. Matt your office tank stand is kinda where im going here in terms of canopy. so if anyone could help me with design ideas, what hardware will be needed, i would really be happy. i can build but don't have an eye for what will work and what won't. your welcome to post pics and or sketches......and whatever else may be useful. thanx in advance.

blackwater

just got some good news. called the place i bought my 65 from and it is not tempered glass other than the bottom. that means i be drilling.:D

Willie McDaries

here's a couple links that might help you on your stand design...

http://www.garf.org/calculators/BuildLargeStand_2.asp

http://www.garf.org/calculators/BuildLargeStand_3.asp

Facade_Stand_1.JPG

Willie McDaries

yep,I thought you could maybe get a basic structural idea for there,it's really fairly easy to build a stand to hold up a tank,making it purdy is the hard part :D

Willie McDaries

that's when I look at other DIY stands and try to copy their work :D there's a bunch of nice looking stands on here,there's a fairly recent 90g DIY stand that looks awesome but I can't remember the thread now

StirCrayzy

Good direction[/I] so far . i'll hitch along for the ride.
Youll be happy you chose the slow road to success.
really helps to have time to research each step as you go.
Good luck with that stand.
I wish i had the time to make a one, thats the way to go.

blackwater

just a simple front 2 door design, with matching canopy (also 2 doors at the front, with maybe vents cut out at the back). i ve been going through the diy forum. thining a very dark stain, as close to black and still see the grain as i can get. don't know what kind of wood to use for the pretty parts. canopy will have to be high i think want to be able to mount lights in it.....or i could build it to the hight i want my lights at, the cut out the dimensions of the light fixture at the top of the canopy and sorta sink the light into it. so as the bulbs are in the canopy and the rest of it is on the exterior of it.