4*2*2 common tank

sunny

Guy after saying hello to everybody. Here let me into my 4*2*2 tank.
I start reefing in 03 from a 2ft cube to a present 4*2*2 make a change in 04 when i decided to sink deeper.

Here are some pic of my tank @ 04 starting stage
planing to do a steep reef wall

partially stock up

fully stock up in apr 05

may 05

tank as at jan 06 did a major rescape to take away the rocky reef wall as it a NO3 factory due to un systematic design... And created a overhanging reef iat the left side and a island on the right

and now

Pls let me know which rock scape look better so next time i will try to scape towards that direction for my future tank.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
You might want to upload your pics to our galleries here at RS. RC frowns on hot linking to their galleries...

FYI... I deleted the RC poster that was showing in place of your photo ;)

sunny

finally manage to upload some photo to photobuket. Hope it allow me to link to here.

Starting for scratch... in yr 04
77a06590.jpg

after cycling with cooking salt, to killl the crabs etc, drain the water out and add in my rocky rockscape.
2494c434.jpg

close up it how i attach the rocks to egg crate
a71bc8d5.jpg

blue lights on to allow coraline grown with massive dump of Mg and Ca
57309a59.jpg

boozeman

''after cycling with cooking salt to get rid of crabs''
WITT!!!!:wit:

looking good sunny :thumbup:

what did you use to attach the rockwork to the eggcrate?...has it held up ?

sunny

start cycling again after a few weeks
start to transfer corals from my old tank.

dec 04
fulltankdec04.jpg

mar 05
fulltankmar05.jpg

close up on right side 05
fulltankmar05rightside.jpg

jun 05
fulltankjun05.jpg

close up on jun 05 sps hill
fulltankjun05spshills.jpg

oct 05
fulltankoct05.jpg

sunny

in end dec of 05 and begin for jan 06 i decided to take away the rocky wall as it is a nitrate sink ..... and the form that attach the rock to the egg crate started to melt away..

this it the new look of it.. during the process loss the sps hills :(
present you the overhanging reef and tower
fulltankjan06-1.jpg

sohar in the beta box in feb
a6b0653f.jpg

not much changes till now
IMG_5527.jpg

now need your comments
which looks is better the rocky wall or the over hanging reef with a singe tower ?

sunny

lastly some snap shot of the the baby prawn in tank that spawn few weeks ago...

fishes like anthies goes crazy that night.

IMG_5516.jpg

too tiny to take some photo this is the best i could take
IMG_5512.jpg

sunny

Hi billy
using cable tie for the heavy base rock and the lighter rocks using those insulting forms from hardware store

lcstorc

Very nice. I like the pictoral review.
Personally I like ledges and overhangs so I like the new look. Miss the sps hill though. That was neat.
Great looking tank. Good work.

Gina

RS STAFF
Hmm...well I'm gonna be different here. I liked the rock wall.
I noticed as time went on there was, was looked like some valleys with mountains?
I've not seen a rock wall before and it gave me the impression that I was deap in the ocean looking up.

Why do you think it became a Nitrate factory? Lack of flow?
Seems to me that you could easily siphon off the wall when you do a water change.

Don't get me wrong the way you have it now looks good also and that's how I had my old 46 done. Cliffs and Caves.
It's just for me, I like mountains and valleys now.
I'm sure in time that'll change also.
Never thought of a rock wall before and am curious as to why it didn't work.

sunny

Hi Icstorc

Thanks i also like the SPS hills but that was the past, all of my sps die off during dismante of the rocky wall.

Hi Gina

i personnally prefer the rocky wall, it was the pictures that taken by diver of those steep rocky walls where all the anthies swim in and out of the sps branches etc that intro me to create it.

However as it the tank was not custom make there are little or no flow at the rocky wall even with the help of TS12, it traps dirts etc at some unreachable areas so there is no way i am able to siphone it. The "form" that i use to hold the rocks started to melt away under the MH so left with no choice but to tear down. :(

If have a chance will go for a 5*3*2.5 this way i guess i can have a rocky wall with overhanging cliff.

Gina

RS STAFF
What if you made eggcrate to fit the sides and back of the tank and tied the rocks onto that. Leave enough space where you could place ph's behind it to make sure there was enough flow behind the rocks?
Just thinking out loud here.