24 gal cube

pumbaafoot

Well I picked up my new cube yesterday. Put down 20lb of arag alive and 10lb of live sand from flordia. 40lb of LR comes in thursday. I may have ordered a bit much but I will find some use for it. MAybe this weekend Ill post some pics once I get the LR all situated. Thanks to all for helping me out.

Snelly40

I have a 24 and 40 pounds of sand and just over 40 pounds of LR. You have a perfect amount
-J

pumbaafoot

I have been thinking about putting in a skimmer. Snelly40 are you pleased with urs? Is a skimmer highly adviced for a tank of my size? I dont plan on putting anything very sensitive in there.

Snelly40

haha, yeah the nanoskimmer got pretty bad reviews.
I personally love my skimmer, i had to do some mods however it was worth it. The water clarity increased greatly as well as the overall health of the fish and corals/anemone. I empty it out about once a week and the fluid is pretty gross, pulls out alot of crud.
If you are gonna have a good but of live rock/fish/corals i would definately recommend it. I still do weekly water changes and everything is flourishing.
To sum it up, ive noticed big changes and would say to grab the aqua c remora. Coraline is off the charts too. I also added MH lighting which im sure is helping all around too.

Snelly40

i have the maxijet 1200 and have been told it is much better.
in the pic of my tank it in in the center, you can see it above the light, it hangs off the back in the center.
I will be posting new pics probably tonight b/c i redid the aquascaping and i can take some just of the skimmer and the position of it for you if you would like. let me know and i'll send you some

Snelly40

skimmer3.JPG

pumbaafoot

Ok I see it. I guess i was thinking it was larger. I am definately going to look into getting one. Thanks. Is it advisable to have one while the LR is curing or can it wait?

Snelly40

Im not actually sure i'm sorry, i added mine after the cycle and everyting, but i would think that you could add one at any time.
Yeah, they're smaller than alot of other skimmers out there and they do a better job too, best of both worlds. Good Luck

Charlie97L

pumbaafoot said:
Ok I see it. I guess i was thinking it was larger. I am definately going to look into getting one. Thanks. Is it advisable to have one while the LR is curing or can it wait?

i've read that running a skimmer can increase the length of your cycle. all you need it water movement and heat to cycle.

R.yumaDaddy?

pumbaafoot said:
I have been thinking about putting in a skimmer. Snelly40 are you pleased with urs? Is a skimmer highly adviced for a tank of my size? I dont plan on putting anything very sensitive in there.

Check out my tank. I don't use a skimmer, but do weekly 25% water changes.