125 gallons of water w/ 3.5% Sodium Chloride

Big Jay

Well it has been a little while since I have had the time to post. I have some sad news. Both my BSJs died of some dreaded skin disease. That sucks. My wife things it was the hippo but I don't agree.

On the brighter side, I found a tiger pistol for Mouth. I acclimated and then placed the shrimp near one of Mouth's holes (he was using the diamond goby hole at the time). They immediately paired up. If you get a chance to get a pistol I highly suggest them. I have 2 now. Felix and Oscar have been in there for a while now and have gotten to the point where they don't really dig anymore. I actually only see Oscar when it's feeding time. Mouth and Tigger are always out. As long as Mouth is near enough for Tigger to keep one of his antenie on him he will continue to work. He is like a little bull dozer. I never know where the next entrance will be because Tigger moves it every day. It's always in the same general area but it's new every day.

I bought a new Mag test kit to check the level. I was a touch low. So I added 5ml move to my dosing schedule. So what's my parameters? I was curious too so I went for the gusto and did them all. Just to keep up on my practice ya know?
Amm-0
trite-0
trate-10
pH- 8.3
phos- 0
kH- 9.6
Cal- 430
Mag-1280
Temp 78.8-79.6
SG - .025

Last time I did a water change was 2 months ago. I dose Alk, Calc, Mag, trace, amino, phyto (live and dead), zoo, fuel, and I feed a homemade ice cube 1 every 2 days. I also feed a 4x4" sheet of purple seaweed on opposite days. Some times I put a little red macro from my 'fuge in the display too. The tangs and crabs dig it. I thought the snails would too but I guess not.

I'm going to go to a frag auction this weekend at a new LFS that is in town. I'm going to bring a few items to auction off and maybe bring home some other goodies! I decided it was time to cut back on my frogspawn. I'm going to bring 18 heads to the auction. Don't worry though. I still have a 36 head branch I can't get rid of. The clowns host it.

crespeto

Sounds really cool, 36 head, man that is crazy. I'm just getting started, but hope that things work out okay so I can having things growing like that. well when you get the new frags toss up some new picks love to see them.

shark32

Hi BigJay,
I just found your thread!! I absolutely love your pictures!! You have an awesome tank and I can't wait to see more pictures!!

Frankie

RS STAFF
Very well done :thumbup:
I love the aquascape and layout on both tanks. The nano is very cool.
Sorry for the loss. It is in my opinion that BSJF should be one of those fish best left in the sea.

MotoReef

August201036.jpg

I'm just rolling on the ground with this photo!! SO FUNNY!!
NICE PHOTOS!!!!!

On some technical side, how do you get white balance with 14,000K lamps?
I usually point my SLR into the patch of white sand and set it on custom white balance, then shoot away. It seems to produce a good balance that I can fine tune with good dynamic range in most editing software.

Your images are spectacular!

Here's some of mine. Not as nice but there's some that came out neat.
Reef Aquarium - a set on Flickr

crespeto

yeah that is a great picture, very funny.

On the pic taking tech side, my wife is having some trouble getting pics of our tank, everything is too blue. How do you get the pictures to white balance better. Thanks.

GlassMunky

Nice thread and GREAT pics! what are the dimensions of the tank? it doesnt look like 6 ft to me. Also, hows the ATS working out for you?

Big Jay

I noticed a week ago my Perculas were cleaning a spot under the frogspawn they host. The activity was not unusual but it seemed like they did a really good job this time. Good enough to turn the knob of Tonga rock white. I went down stairs for a drink of water at about 1 in the morning and filled the top off bucket. I then got out my trusty headlamp and happen to see Romeo hovering in and out of the euphilla. He was doing his job buffering and protecting a small clutch of eggs!

Just thought I would share my excitement.

crespeto

hey congrats big pappa, they are in a normal tank though so probably just going to wind up getting eaten right or are you going to try and protect them? Either way that is fun.

Big Jay

Well the eggs must have hatched last night. Missed it. Maybe I will get some shots of hatching fry next batch. I don't plan to raise them or anything. Keeping a steril environment for the fry, photo, rotifers, and brine shrimp sounds like a real pain in the butt. For now they will just be extra food and waste for the tank, and it's inhabitants, to absorb.

The tank is a standard 125 gallon. 72x22x18 I think.

As far as pictures go...
I have 2 cameras I use. A Sony W230 PAS is what I use for super macro shots until I get a macro lens for my DSLR. I bought the Sony with Scuba in mind so I made sure it had a underwater white balance adjustment option. I set it to underwater auto and it does a real good job with the blueness of the 14k lights.
The Nikon DSLR took quite a while to find the right white balance for the blue. Some times it's still too blue but I'm still playing with it on occasion. All I can suggest is playing with the camera and try to get into the more advanced settings. Couple of thinks that make a huge difference is shutter speed. Fast as possible without it producing a dark picture. The ISO also works well in the 800-1200 range. If the tank is dark or the subject is in a dark area a higher ISO might be needed to the shutter speed fast enough to catch to photo without. It being dark or blurred. Using the flash works great for catching fish but the flash tends to add a lot of yellow/red to the shot. Tripod and a timer works great for longer shots. Also you can kill the pumps to help slow the motion down in the tank if you can't get the shutter speed up.

crespeto

holy cow that is amazing detail, great pics. That is so cool that you can see each little baby. Very very cool. Thanks so much for sharing.

IXL

N I C E ~ .......

Keep us updated on those kids, I would like to know what will be of them....