Search results

1. daddio

Add or Replace sand?

Over the past 8 years my sandbed has shrunk... either by cleaning or disintigration. I want to freshen it up (it is pretty ugly - brown and tired looking). Would you replace sections at a time or add more over the top? At one time the bed was around 4" at the back and 2" at the front. It is now...
  2. daddio

Black Sun Coral... Its ALIVE...

I have had a heck of a year with my tank. Added more rock and had a whole new cycle, hair algae, etc. To make a long arduous story short, I had given up on my black sun coral that the hair algae killed and threw the skeleton in the sump as an expensive piece of rubble. This past weekend I was...
  3. daddio

Redox+

Has anyone used this? I am fighting cyano after stray electric upset the balance in my aquarium. It has been one thing after another and water changes don't seem to be helping. I have had my water-change water tested to make sure I am not dumping more of the cause into the tank and that...
  4. daddio

Frustrated...

Any ideas are welcome... Here is where I am at. About a month or so ago, I was plagued by montipora eating nudibranches that killed off a large head of plating montipora and a bunch of 4-5 inch across pieces that had broken off as well as a branching variety that was really starting to grow...
  5. daddio

Stray Electric

I have been fighting to figure out what is going wrong with my tank. I was blaming it on the loss of a huge plating montipora to nudibranches. I thought maybe the presence of light where there was none before as starting a mini cycle. But I have lost two fish now (jumped). I have never had...
  6. daddio

Curse the Montipora Eating Nudibranches

A month ago, I was plagued with those montipora eating nudibranches and lost all of my montipora. I tried to scrub them off and save even a piece but they are tricky little buggers. I had a huge "vase" of green plating montipora, and the start of six more form pieces I had to break off to allow...
  7. daddio

Heniochus diphreutes?

I have been researching and researching a good butterfly for my tank. I have soft corals, LPS, SPS, zoos and clams. I love copperbands and longnose butterflies and have heard for the most part that they are "pretty much safe". I also have been reading up on the schooling bannerfish and think...
  8. daddio

Invigorating interest (getting over spring hump)

We are having Spring-like weather already and I can tell that interest is waning a bit. Not that I don't love my tank, but it is in a downstairs tv room and now that we will be spending more time outside, I tend to do more maintenance and less building/watching. I am thinking that if I take on a...
  9. daddio

Going Low Tech

I have been experimenting and was wondering if anyone else has had luck removing instead of adding more devices. I am down to a skimmer, chaeto, live rock and a bag of carbon and my water quality has never been better. I change out 5 gallons every other weekend in 75 gallon tank. I have been...
  10. daddio

Too much light?

Have a crocea near the top of the tank (about 4" from the waterline) under 2x150 watt 10000K MH and 2x130 watt sunpac PCs. These are hanging about 8" above the water and my tank is uncovered. It has attached firmly and looks fine until the MHs kick on for a while and it shies a bit. I thought...
  11. daddio

Hairy blenny?

I have not been able to figure out what is on my yellow tail black blenny. On one side, he has a patch of what looks like translucent "hair". He is not rubbing and the other fish are unaffected. I have let my quarantine tank go over the summer but will get it up and running again (I am sure I...
  12. daddio

Slow death...

I had three very happy clams, two crocea and one derasa... until my anemone went walkabout and its maroon clown stirred up huge clouds of silt as it tried to make room for the anemone. This went on for about a week and the two croceas bit it. I guess in hind sight, I should have moved them out...
  13. daddio

EcoCube reviews?

Anyone have any opinions on the DFS EcoCube? I saw one set up last week at my LFS but have not had a chance to really examine it closely. But from what I saw, it looked incredible. It was set up with the metal halide fixture and it looked like a living jewel in the store. It always kind of...
  14. daddio

Silk Tube?

I recently purchased a small rock with zoanthids and had to relocate it when my anemone decided to take a walk. When I picked it up, there was a silk-like tube connecting the zo rock and the existing rock. The new rock is about the size of a baseball. The tube connecting the two rocks was about...
  15. daddio

Non Bubble Tip Anemone

I have had my bubble tip for around 6 years now. It is huge and I hope happy. It is host to a big old maroon clown. It has been sucked into powerheads, caused rockwork collapses, eaten several firefish - and still it is a source of enjoyment in the tank. I can't believe it has survived my...
  16. daddio

RO/DI Question #5041

I think that the documentation that comes with a lot of aquarium equipment sucks (but it does keep message boards like this alive). I have two questions about my Pure-Flo II 50 gpd RO/DI unit. I don't count how many gallons I have produced with it. The specs say 6 months or 2500 gallons but...
  17. daddio

Banish the blenny?

My sailfin blenny has reached adulthood and has become troublesome. The rest of the tank is very peaceful and I have been wanting to add another blenny-type fish such as a bi-color or maybe even a jawfish. He has been aggressive with non-blenny-shaped fish and I was concerned that it might be...
  18. daddio

Ich Magnets

I had a blue tang for over 6 years and occasionally it would get show signs of ich. I would monitor it, and whether or not the cleaner shrimp helped for sure, I never had to take drastic measures. It would never be worse for wear and none of the other fish ever showed any signs at all. I...
  19. daddio

too much xenia

How does one get rid of xenia? I really like it but it has completely taken over my tank. It is growing on clams, montipora, the glass, powerheads and even the sand. I prune it back but that seems to make it spread even more. It grows long stalks and then they pinch off and float around until...
  20. daddio

Star Polyp killer

I can't keep the darned things alive! I have many other creatures (for years) that are supposedly more demanding (clams, an anenome, montipora, xenia, etc.), but for some reason, they start out fine, spread and then quit opening up. I can get them to stay for extended periods of time. Any tips...