Search results

1. M

Live rock Mixing formula? aragoconcrete?

I am setting up my 200g into a reef. my first real reef; I want to make it without anything being removed from nature especially things like Live rock and coral. My biggest question is does anyone have a good tested formula for mixing an aragonite concrete mixture and making Live rock; I know...
  2. M

should I remove al traces of this Caulepra

is it best to leave this to the Fuge? why or wht not? it looks attractive in the tank but grows at an alarming rate of about 1" per day, I need to cull it regularly.
  3. M

should I eradicate this algae?

Should I leave this fast growing macro in the tank or is it best reaserved for the Fuge each arm grows about 1" per day and needs to have about 1LB removed each week. is it going to remove too much nutrients from the water for my reef or is it a good thing to leave in the tank? it adds a more...
  4. M

mysterious anemone (not an aptasia for a change)

Alright I know I should be able to figure this out on my own but I just can't seem to pin it down to one Species. maybe it's too young or maybe it's sick? the litle bugger was living on the sandbed in the dark behind my LR when I tore the tank up to clean out some other junk. now it's...
  5. M

unidentified coral 2 speices.

these first 2 are differerent views of the same group they never fully retract and stay soft all the time. I suspect it may even be a leather. The second group is a different Species entirely when I got the LR I thought it was just Tonga rock and had a rich growth of coraline on the tip but...
  6. M

Astro Turf?

I have a small patch of what appears to be dark green astro turf growing down in the back of the LR I cant get at it with a camera without tearing my structure up. it literally looks and feels like a tiny 1"X1" patch of well attached astro turf it seems to be a slow grower but difficult to...
  7. M

Why can't I use non-marine halides?

I can buy industrial halide fixtures complete with a 350w bulb and ballast! Why can't I switch the bulb out for a 10k bulb or other? I bought 3 of these and installed them on my house they are complete for under 100 bucks! is the ballast the difference? I don't need to worry about corrosion
  8. M

Acanthastrea, Acans, where how and why not

I have been surfing arround the web and decided that if there is one must have for a reef tank it's an acan (Acanthastrea ) if you will. I can't seem to find any great info on them such as what is the actual water flow requirements and the lighting requirements, Are there different...
  9. M

What is this Nasty Monster worm?

Sorry for the Kindergarten Pic. I seen this Monster in the sandbed last night I could'nt get a pic of it, it moved a million miles an hour getting away from me, the pic I drew is about 6" of it, the piece I seen dart away must have been 6-10" easy. this morning I found one of my margarita...
  10. M

My first Reef: Music Man

My first live addition (not counting the LR and Sand) Feather duster I put him in at about 45 days or so just before I threw in a couple Mexi Turbos. My first fish 90 days from day 1 Order: Perciformes Family: Pomacentridae (Damselfishes) Sub-Family: Amphiprioninae Scientific...
  11. M

I need to find a better lighting fixture

I have a 30g hex it measures abour 18" accross and is made of acrylic, I currently have 2-24" 65w (130w total) PC lights above 1 is a 15000k daylight and the other is blue actinic 7500k and I have moon lights built in to the fixture. since the tank is made of acrylic I am concerned with heat...
  12. M

Question on members only substrate, sand if you will!

I was in the LFS the other day and I noticed he has converted all his show tanks to the spherical substrate, I don't rember the name of it but I know it is mined in only 1 location, it is the 1mm perfectly spherical substrate, I asked where I could get some and he didn't want to talk about it...
  13. M

best method of obtaining new reef mates

I have only purchased 3 corals ever, first of all I only set up my first reef tank 3 months ago, so 'm new to the reef world. I would like to know from experience what is the best method for obtaining new/unique reef members, I can purchase locally but selection is limited or on a special...
  14. M

Is my Anemone a Predator?

I have a 4" Green Bubble tip anemone I Purchased nearly 3 weeks ago: My first! he seems well adapted to my tank eating bits of squid and shrimp I give him/her. I noticed the other day he moved to another rock he sat in the same place for 2 weeks and seemed happy. his move to the new rock...
  15. M

is this a ricordia I found on a piece of Rock?

I found this litle critter about 2 weeks ago at the time he was a litle bigger than a dime, now he is 2" accross I thought he was a bubble tip at first since he was all tips at the time but since then he has developed into a flatter version resembling what I believe is possibly some form of...
  16. M

What is this a Mushroom? Coral?

I found this guy in the gravel on the bottom of my tank the other day, I can't positively ID him, I am still new to the marine keeping business so I don't have much personal experience to go on. The pic. doesn't show it but he is about 1/4" accross and half as tall. and a nice green color with...