Search results

1. staresatrocks

calcium question

What is "ionic calcium?" When I try to look it up using a search engine I'm directed to a zillion health supplement sites. This is supposedly the kind of calcium in the calcium supplement I use in my reef tank.
  2. staresatrocks

More than one way...

My main purpose in posting this is to put a link to it in my signature, but if you want to discuss it, that'd be cool. Keeping It Simple Since 2005 I enjoy reading all kinds of tank-build threads, from low-tech to high-tech, and learning from fellow reef-keepers who go about it...
  3. staresatrocks

lost a chromis

One of my chromis dashed out from behind a rock at feeding time this morning, twirled a little, and went stiff. Seemed perfectly normal yesterday. No readable ammonia, nitrites or nitrates; pH 8.0 at 11:30 am, alk 9.0. All the other fish appear to be fine; corals look normal. ???
  4. staresatrocks

lumens/gallon?

I read the sticky, and it's very informative, but I still have a question: is there a "lumens per gallon" guideline for determining how many T5's (ho) are needed for a 24" high tank?
  5. staresatrocks

moving existing live rock and livestock

Is it okay to move all the live rock, corals and fish from my 15 into my 55 at once, or should I do it over several days or a few weeks? Both tanks are in my dining room, a few feet apart, and nothing will be exposed to air. I'll have the water parameters matching. Opinions?
  6. staresatrocks

mystery "insects"

Initially I thought gnats were getting into the house and drowning in the new mini-reef since I started finding what resembled several dozen small dead insects on the water each morning. However, my nano tank is in the same room and there were no gnats in it; neither have we been swatting at...
  7. staresatrocks

tank info for sig link

Hi: I'm posting my tank info here so that I can link to it in my signature. (Mods, if it needs to be elsewhere, let me know.) 55-gallon glass tank; Hagen GLO dual T5 ho light fixture w/ 1 Marine Glo and 1Power Glo tube; Seio 320 pump, Seio 530 pump; power filter for GAC and water movement...
  8. staresatrocks

Dianne's 55 gallon upgrade

:woohoo: I get to upgrade from my 15-gallon nano to 55 gallons! (Permission granted by the hubby on March 10. Began project on March 11. :D Here are the first pictures: My 10-yr-old former freshwater tank. Thank goodness, no leaks. This was taken March 20, the day...
  9. staresatrocks

Hi, I'm Dianne and I am a reef addict. My husband is in danger of joining me; he recently suggested that we turn our former freshwater aquarium (55 gallon) into a mini reef. He actually likes my 2.5 year-old nano reef! The 55 now has live sand, live rock, saltwater, algae and as of today, 9...