mystery "insects"

Initially I thought gnats were getting into the house and drowning in the new mini-reef since I started finding what resembled several dozen small dead insects on the water each morning. However, my nano tank is in the same room and there were no gnats in it; neither have we been swatting at anything or finding anything floating on our oil candle. My husband's theory was that the clownfish and damsel were eating the "gnats" that fell into their tank. Sunday afternoon I added a small school of chromis to the 55, and I am still seeing these every morning. The chromis do eat them as the day goes on. Also, I see some live "bugs" swimming near the surface of the water each evening near the end of the photoperiod. Any ideas?

P1030685.JPG

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
that's a new one. Any way you get get closer pics?

Maybe take a couple out and photograph them on paper or something.

Gyr

Interesting. I have no idea what those are, but I'd like to know if they come from outside your tank (like the gnat possibility), or if they are bugs that are 'hatching' from inside your tank. Could you put a cover over your tank (and sump) for a day to see if that keeps the bugs out of your tank?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Any indoor plants? They almost look like the tiny whiteflies that sometimes grow in houseplants, maybe attracted to moonlights if you have any on during the night? Just a wild guess. :)

I siphoned out some of the mysterious flotsam; here are the two best pics I could get. My next photographic purchase needs to be a set of closeup filters.

P1030691-1.JPG

P1030696-2.JPG

These are not flying up under the light fixture; they're dashing around on and just under the surface. What's left each morning are either bodies or carapaces, floating. Some of what's floating looks wormlike; some looks flea-like, but most look like the photo of the single example.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I honestly have no idea. I've not seen everything but I've seen a LOT! I've never seen anything like this... until not that is!!

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Can't tell from that pic but more than likely you are having what we call a "hach-out". This is common in the spring and often in the early evening. You probably had some flying insect lay eggs somewhere around your lighting fixture and now they are emerging and just ending up in the water. White fly hatches are well known by stream fisherman like myself which are mayflies, which emerge from steams. No, that is not what I'm saying you have. There are no flies that hatch and emerge from seawater. These are not the white flies found on plants, which are kinda "moth" looking. There is no doubt that this is an insect, as it has what I see are 6 legs. And they do look like gnats. Put a cloth or a large piece of cardboard to cover the tank around the tanks frame top and see if you get them still in the water.

"bugs" swimming near the surface of the water each evening near the end of the photoperiod. Any ideas?

These are probably copepod or Amiphods. Some often come out at night for feeding. This is very common in the ocean where "plankton" come to the surface.

edit

I have a entomologist, that specializes in house hold and yard insects looking at these pics for you :)

mbdave

I used to get those when I lived in FL. Always in the sump I thought they were mosqitoes? They only showed when the weather warmed up. I dont believe they bother anything so I just picked them out "sometimes". :):)

Boomer

The only insects that hatch of of seawater are Shore flies and Brine Flies..........and see below :) But they look more like regular house flies. These have long legs.

Still don't know why gnats would gather at only one of the tanks.

They aren't, their just hatching there and falling in the water .. BUT>>>. My ento guy says they look like mosquitoes and there are mosquitoes that hatch out of seawater.

So, this by me There are no flies that hatch and emerge from seawater. is incorrect.

Boomer

Ento guy has just added

"One of the pictures shows the cast skin of the mosquito larvae still attached to the adult. "

Upper right
P1030691-1.JPG

Boomer

Ento-guy says they could also be Midges, which look like mosquitoes but aren't but are in the same group and do not bite. Blood worms are an example.

BUT>>>. My ento guy says they look like mosquitoes and there are mosquitoes that hatch out of seawater.

Yup, that's why I always came home from the beach with a tan and lots of itchy red bites!

Midges, now that would made sense, since we're not getting bitten or hearing that high-pitched "zzzzzzzzz" sound mosquitos make.

Side question: my saltwater fish go crazy for frozen bloodworms (red mosquito larvae). OK to include them in their diet?