Search results

1. magnetar68

RSM 130D Seahorse Tank

It's been a while since I've posted, but my RSM 130D has been up since April as a seahorse tank. Here's a video of what it looks like now. I am using only one of the two lights and one of the two circulation pumps with a DIY spray bar. I also have a Koralia 1. Together they create a clockwise...
  2. magnetar68

Skimmer for the 130D

I have a Tunze 9002. It's seems OK, but given all of the newer nano models out there these days, I was wondering if anyone has since upgraded and found one that is even better?
  3. magnetar68

Identification of my clowns

I bought these two clown fish two years ago. I bought them from my LFS. I was new to the hobby then, so I did not have a sense for how bad my LFS was at properly labeling the tanks. At the time, the tank was labeled "Sustainable Aquatics A. Ocellaris." As they have gotten older, their colors...
  4. magnetar68

mandarin dragonet pair behaivor

i have a pair of ora red dragonets. they hang out together under my rockwork, but seem to spend a fair amount of time apart. sometimes the female will come out at night and sleep alone in the front of the tank. the other pairs i have (clowns, sleeper gobies, firefish) are almost inseparable...
  5. magnetar68

Missing Fish

I put up my new DIY led lights the other night. I ordered moonlights, but they are not in yet, so I just had the tank in the dark. I did open the doors to my cabinet so the refugium light spilled out into the room providing some ambient light in the tank. Anyway, the next morning one of my 5...
  6. magnetar68

Anyone Feed Nutramar Ova? Do you rinse it?

This is much easier to feed by adding a small chunk of frozen Ova to the tank in a jar, but I was wondering if anyone thaws it and rinses it first? I did this a couple of times and it definitively gets some gunk out of the food, but when I add it the tank it is hard to keep it contained and it...
  7. magnetar68

How long can I leave food in the tank?

I am added a pair of ORA red mandarins to my RSM 130D (34 gallon) this week. It's a newly cycled tank with only these two fish a couple of smaller nassarius vibex and a couple of scarlet hermits. The first morning (they were added the previous afternoon), I thawed some frozen Nutramar Ova and...
  8. magnetar68

Red Sea MAX 130 water level

I am sure this has been covered 1000s of times, but I am setting up my 130D again and want to get the water level right. In my previous setup, the water level fluctuated in both sections of the mini-sump: the return with the pumps and the intake before the baffle. This was because I had a fair...
  9. magnetar68

Anyone know the diameter of the RSM 130 nozzle loc-line?

I want to order a part to attach to the thread on the stock circulation pump and I did not have time to measure the diameter this morning before leaving for work (yes, I overslept). I think it is 1/2", but looking for confirmation.
  10. magnetar68

DIY Spraybar for RSM130

Since I am converting my RSM130D into a seahorse tank, I was thinking about making a spraybar instead of the standard RSM nozzle. Here is one idea, what do you think: Order three (3) 6" 1/2 loc-Line tubes ($3.99 each) Order one loc-lin ball value as a cap at the end ($9.75) Then drill holes...
  11. magnetar68

RSM 130D Rebirth for 2012

It's been a while since I been active here, but I read the articles on dragonets in the current CORAL (Dec/Nov 2011) and it got me thinking of a good use of my RSM 130D: a low flow seahorse/mandarin tank. Originally, when I got my 120G tank, the wife said the RSM needed to do into the storage...
  12. magnetar68

Really boring videos through a microscope

I assume with a title like that I have given plenty of fair warning, but I took a few videos through a microscope of some life in the bottom of my 34G reef tank when I moved everything to my new 120G. Let's me admire my tank on a scale most people probably don't find too interesting, but I think...
  13. magnetar68

Cooked My Tank

I came home the other day and my dart fish was swimming frantically and then I noticed the corals were very closed. I checked the Digital Aquatics controller and I noticed the temp was 91F! Here's what happened. I had unplugged my iTemp probe to plug in the SID and reprogram a few things and...
  14. magnetar68

RSM 130D as a Quarantine Tank?

I finally have my 120G up and cycled. I have moved most of my livestock to it and I am thinking about turning my 130D into my quarantine tank for my new livestock, both fish and corals. A few thoughts: I will not use it as a hospital tank, I have a separate 10G tank for medication. Should I...
  15. magnetar68

Electrical Shock from Bad Heater

I was making 25 gallons of salt water and needed to heat it to 78, so I dropped in a spare Red Sea 150W Heater. This was in a Rubber Maid 32 gallon trash can. I put my finger in to check the temperature after a couple of hours and my finger hurt. Then I realized I was getting shocked. Not a...
  16. magnetar68

Telescoping PVC drain pipe

There are a few things that I don't like about my 120G tank. It's my fault, since it's my design and the whole thing is completely custom. THe biggest down side is that I need to unscrew 4 PVC unions in order to swap out the filter socks. I have seen designs where the drain pipes do not go...
  17. magnetar68

Running water to my tank

My new tank is in the family room. There is no water there and it is built above a slab, so there is no easy way to run water under the house. My current tank has a small tank I use for top off water, but I must fill it every few days. This is tank is bigger (120G vs 34G), so I expect higher...
  18. magnetar68

Hamilton 65W 10K/460nm Blue for RSM 130D

I think this bulb will fit. Has anyone tried it? Bad idea? Says it works in 55W systems. 65W 50/50 (460nm BLUE/10K WHITE) COMPACT FLUORESCENT LAMP - GERMAN PIN, Hamilton Technology Corp. - SalesAquarium supplies&Aquarium lighting by Hamilton Technology
  19. magnetar68

Placing the sump 20 feet from the tank?

I am planning a tank upgrade. Originally, my plan was to put the tank in the living room. Then I casually mentioned the idea to my wife of building a fish room in the garage. Surprisingly, she was directionally OK with the idea. I then thought, if I put the new tank in the family room, I could...
  20. magnetar68

Substrate Selection: Need Help Choosing

I am selecting substrate for a 48"x24"x24" 125G reef tank. While I don't plan on it being a super high flow tank, I would like decent flow. I am very attracted to the ESV Fine Grade Calcium Carbonate Sand. I like the fact that it is very white. It is calcite, not aragonite, but I am planning...