Telescoping PVC drain pipe

magnetar68

There are a few things that I don't like about my 120G tank. It's my fault, since it's my design and the whole thing is completely custom. THe biggest down side is that I need to unscrew 4 PVC unions in order to swap out the filter socks. I have seen designs where the drain pipes do not go into the socks, now I understand why (e.g., here).

I though I remember seeing a telescoping PVC somewhere that enables you to easily lift the part of the drain pipe that is in the sock up so you can remove the sock, but I cannot seem to find it. Anyone seen anything like this? Shot in the dark, but I figure I would ask.

tnwillia

Hey I found your plumbing drawing in your tank thread post 59. A possibility.... Below the lower 1.5" gate valve change the male adaptor to a barb and run 1.5" hose to your sock instead of the pvc & union. May not be as pretty but you can cut it where you want it to be and move it as needed to work your sock. Have fun!

steved13

PREMIUM
I have 1" drains, and use the corrugated hose for the last couple of feet. I can lift the 2 drain hoses out of each sock and put them into the sump while I change each sock. Works very well for me. I didn't even bother with a barb, the hose slipped on thight to the PVC pie and I just clamped it, works fine for a drain.

steved13

PREMIUM
+1 to Tom...that's what I use. I didn't know you were trying to figure it out, or I would have found it and posted. Raymo, the one you found looks like it would be stiff like the spa flex, (not as stiff, but still stiff) and might also be hard to move around for filter sock change.

1 thing I would watch though...if you step it down from 1.5" to 1" or anything like that, you will probably end up with "snail clogs". Keep any reduction spot at an easy to get to location, like toward the end. I just ran into this problem, one of my "Beananimal" drains was getting clogged at the gate valve(1 big snail and about a dozen small ones). I ended up cutting it out and moving it near the end.