Search results

1. JeF4y

Toadstool Question

Not much to add other than that the Toadstool is the most tempermental coral I have in my tank. If literally ANYTHING changes it closes up or shrivels for anywhere from 2-5 days.
  2. JeF4y

WTB Red Sun Coral

You can train them, and additionally, if you set up your rock work to have a shaded spot put them there and they will be out very often. I set mine up with a large shade spot for several colonies of sun coral. Right now I only have one colony there, but it's out quite a bit of the day and...
  3. JeF4y

Emergency birth of a 60 Cube from a 29 that SPLIT!

Those containers are awesome. Perfect size & shape for me, and very sturdy. I saw the ones with the angled opening, but thought this one would work better as I was going to be wheeling it through the loft. haha... They are a pair of glass hanging light shades. They are sitting upside...
  4. JeF4y

Mimic Filefish (Paraluteres prionurus) Anyone have one??

I'm looking for people who have a Mimic Filefish (Paraluteres prionurus). Would like to get more information on your experience with them. Specifically, what is your setup? What additional tank mates? (fish/corals/inverts) How long have you had it? What do you feed it & how often? Any...
  5. JeF4y

August 2010 POTM Contest!

Never entered a contest like this before, but here's my submission.
  6. Candy Canes

Candy Canes

Candy Canes ~1.5 yrs old, from a single head to a colony a bit bigger than a baseball. Nikon D5000
  7. JeF4y

Should I be concerned about my anemone?

Calling Dr. Freud. Dr. Freud, you're needed in the anemone discussion... LMAO... :ofr:
  8. JeF4y

Beautiful sun corals cbrownfish- How about some feeding tips!

pick up a long dropper (there was a guy here - BigJay? who was making them a while back) and feed the sun some mysis. Each head needs to be fed or it will starve. You can feed them as frequently as every day if you want (they will eat like horses) but I tend to spot feed mine weekly. Now...
  9. JeF4y

A couple more pics from the weekend. I tried to take some front-facing wide-angle shots, but without any curtains, the light reflections off the glass really hindered any good shots. Green shrooms I inherited from the guy I bought the rock from (forget what your user name is! LOL)...
  10. JeF4y

Okay, so back for more fun! The goal was simple. Move the 60 cube from SE WI to downtown Atlanta. Pre-planning took a HUGE role in this and made things go off pretty well. In the pre-planning, I had a new stand made from 80/20 extruded aluminum, topped with granite and then skinned with...
  11. JeF4y

LOL... go figure. Now I'm a resident of Fulton County haha (Atlanta). I haven't updated this thread in a while and haven't been on here much. Spend a lot of time on some local reef forums (both in WI and Atlanta). I will update this thread with our move story! I don't know, in the end I...
  12. JeF4y

It's been a while since I've updated this and I got a new toy today so here's a few shots. FTS Pedro the Blenny protecting his Zoas Candy Canes that grew from ONE head 1 yr ago - From Pauls Corals New toy - Fisheye for the Fish tank! Another Fisheye shot.
  13. JeF4y

"Velvety" Red Algae-- AT MY WHITS END!!!

To be honest with you, IMHO this looks a lot like Gelidium. I have the exact same thing and multiple sources have repeatedly identified it as such. The bad news on it is that it is supposedly *NOT* dependent on nitrates/phosphates, so all the phosban in the world isn't going to affect this...
  14. JeF4y

creeping Gelidium sp. question?

Join the crowd... I have a tank FULL of it and I'm just starting the battle. For now, I've added a Tuxedo Urchin who seems to enjoy the taste of it. I hear that Mexican Turbo Snails also are very good for wiping this out (read this morning about a guy with a 700 gallon display that was FULL...
  15. JeF4y

Fed up about to quit :(

Yes, you can blackout with the fish in the tank for a few days. Think of how dark it stays during a hurricane. They will be fine. Morgan, any new status?
  16. JeF4y

just a general statement about rock work

Like many others, I use the kind that are used for open/closing blinds. Home Depot sells replacement rods for $3'ish each. I went to another home improvement store that didn't sell them but they had a bunch of broken ones that they gave me. You can get bigger rods from marcorocks.com or...
  17. JeF4y

How much Lighting do i really need?

I use my controller to manage a seasonal sunrise/sunset which varies daily, but on the whole, I run 2 bulbs for 90 mins before the mains come on and 90 minutes after they go off. In the end I'm running about 12 hours of lighting with 9 hours of all 8 bulbs.
  18. JeF4y

just a general statement about rock work

I have had very little success using putty to hold any significant rock together. To mount a frag plug? Sure. But a 5# or larger piece of rock? I can't make it work. I try to stack & lock as best I can, and have managed to wiggle a few acrylic rods into the stack to keep things put. Then...
  19. JeF4y

Skimmer suggstion

Vertex is great 'bang for the buck' in my opinion... Money wasn't necessarily a factor when I bought ours, but after hearing great reviews on them I went for it and am very pleased with the performance at such a bargain price.
  20. JeF4y

Tank move did not go well

+1 on both Frankie's posts... I would lean towards the sandbed being a major portion of the disaster, and then coral toxins as well as fish contaminants from stress. It's a shame though because you went through a lot to prevent disaster and ended up there anyhow. IMHO, a sandbed just can't...