just a general statement about rock work

nightfire76

well everyone with the addition to my new 3 pieces of LR i just learned that its rather hard to arrange 50 pounds of rock in the tank to look nice,not to mention i just now heard one if not more slip and hit the glass :(

nightfire76

i used a flashlight to look into my tank and noticed nothing fell over and must of been one of the kids making noise as usual lol and not to jump off this topic but when i used the flash light i made something with tenticles go back into the rock lol anyway though my questions still stand even though it hasnt fallen yet lol

nightfire76

yeah,though i doubt my luck with that would be good,i suppose my best bet is to use epoxy,though i never used it before

i used some marine grade epoxy from walmart. comes in a two part tube at walmart. been 5 years and no problems still . cures underwater.

sambrinar

DONT GET IT AT WALMART!! you need to get it from a LFS or online LFS, I use it all the time!! to hold corals in place and rock work...

here are some examples...

the first two.. I have used both, and both work well, the green one turns white and the brown one is kinda grayish

Search Results for epoxy

JeF4y

I have had very little success using putty to hold any significant rock together. To mount a frag plug? Sure. But a 5# or larger piece of rock? I can't make it work. I try to stack & lock as best I can, and have managed to wiggle a few acrylic rods into the stack to keep things put. Then again, I don't have any crazy overhangs or anything.

There are a few open spots where my flame can swim through the stack, and all of the smaller fish can get through, but it's nothing real extravagant

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I use both Epoxy and Acrylic Rods. I love the "Rod & Peg" method and will use it extensively on all future rock scaping.

nightfire76

i havent tried that,not so sure how easy it might be fore me or not,right now my rocks holding up ok.....i need to post new pics,i think for having no coral its colorful :D

JeF4y

Where can you get the acrylic rods you guys speak of??

Like many others, I use the kind that are used for open/closing blinds. Home Depot sells replacement rods for $3'ish each. I went to another home improvement store that didn't sell them but they had a bunch of broken ones that they gave me.

You can get bigger rods from marcorocks.com or other places.