Search results

1. D

light question

On my new 220 I am currently running 4x96W pc's(came with tank) and 4x39W T5ho(which i had before). Since the T5's are 36" I could add another 36" T5 with 4-6 39W for 200-300. The other option would be to replace the 36" fixture with at new 72"(600-900). My question is would it be worth a...
  2. D

Daves 220 Journal

To make a long story short went to the lfs to order a replacement 46 bow and talked the wife into letting me get my dream tank. This is going to be a slow build since I would like to take my time to stocking it. I will know on Wednesday or Thursday when it will be delivered. The clowns...
  3. D

urgent advice needed

I have just restarted my tank after Gustav had dropped a tree on the sunroom. What i did not notice was 2 small chips on the side that was facing the window that exploded. The tank is an Oceanic Systems 46 Gallon Bowfront. 1 of chips is very small and the other appears to be a possible...
  4. D

Live rock question

Has anyone had a bad experience with using aquacultured Florida live rock? I am looking at getting 30lbs to restart my tank and seed the existing rock. Also should I be looking at other types? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Dave
  5. D

46 Gallon Rebuild

Just a quick history my first tank crashed when a tree landed on the house and sunroom over the tank(thanks Gustav). The only thing that I was able to save was 2 small clownfish. It looks like it may be another 2-3 weeks before I can set the tank back up. I am hopefully going to test the...
  6. D

Total tank crash – Gustav

First let me say everyone is ok and I do have insurance. So much for planning I did have 4 days of fuel for the generator and cold packs in the freezer for the reef tank. What I did not plan for was a tree coming down on the top of the roof over the tank. The tank got flooded with rainwater...
  7. D

what check for after a power failure?

Been without power going on 12 hours what will i need to keep an eye out for when they finaly get it back on. Temp in the house where the tank is located is at 85F atm --- local power company is saying it should be back on in an hour or 2 more. Thanks
  8. D

live food question

With the addition of a the new Xenia to my tank 3 weeks ago that seems to have almost grown 50%. I have noticed a decrease in the marine snow(plankton?) that used to rise from the sand bed just after the main lights went down. Now the tank is virtually crystal clear all the time. I am...
  9. D

placement question

would it be a good idea to place a zenia and clove polyp on the same large rock ie 7-8 inches? Thanks
  10. D

stocking question

How much coral is safe to add to 46 gal. tank at one time. The LFS is telling me it is ok to add all the coral I plan to add at once. Reading on the forums here and elsewhere it seems I should go a lot slower to prevent a crash.(my inclination is to add 2-3 frags at a time) Any comments are...
  11. D

what is this?

I have this growing on the back of the live rock out of the main water flow and out of the direct light. It appears lime green(nice color) under the 10K whites and actinic turning to brown under the actinic the tank is new under 9 months and it has grown from nothing to its current size of 3-4...
  12. D

Hello All

New to Reef keeping here. Been doing keeping freshwater tanks for a long time a decided to give saltwater a second try(with a lot more information and patience). My goal will be to keep mostly soft corals to start out. I like corals with motion as the water flows over them. The tank has...