46 Gallon Rebuild

da456789

Just a quick history my first tank crashed when a tree landed on the house and sunroom over the tank(thanks Gustav). The only thing that I was able to save was 2 small clownfish. It looks like it may be another 2-3 weeks before I can set the tank back up. I am hopefully going to test the filters, skimmers and power head in a Rubbermaid container this weekend . I am going to document the setup and rebuild with photos for you guys this time. I am hoping to make it a lot better than I had it before.

I have about 20lbs of live rock I had brought. I made about 20lbs of base rock with crushed coral and sand(was in the tank as base rock).

I am seriously thinking about buying some Florida live rock about 30lbs worth to seed the tank and start up the cycle over again. I enjoyed watching all the little critters running around the old tank so this may be a good idea for me lots of life. Would 70 lbs of rock be to much(old+new)?

Has anyone had dealings with the following vendor?

Florida Live Rock

da456789

Hello All

My 2 surviving clownfish in the 2 ½ qt tank I used for new corals and stuff. They must be thinking what did we do --- from the Hilton to the bargain basement motel in one night.
On a good note we now have electricity back in the sunroom. Still waiting for the replacement glass panes and final trim work. With all the construction going on in the rest of the house kicking up dust I am definitely going to wait on setting up the tank. Just hoping I can keep the water quality good in the qt tank. I would normally change it out with water from the main tank so they params would always match. Charcoal to rescue again.

Attachments

• _IGP453349k.jpg
    _IGP453349k.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 78

da456789

Finally
The repairs to the sunroom are complete. Also all the drywall work is done - so no more dust all over the house. I finished painting all the new trimwork in the sunroom and started moving the tank and furniture back in. Hopefully I can get all the stuff back into the the room today after work and maybe fill the tank.

I am going to test run the tank for a few days before I order the Flordia live rock. I want to make sure all the equipment is working with no problems. The rubber maid container i had was not big enought to test the equipment out in. Also I want to make sure I don't get a PH rebound from the rock I created(it cured 3 months) just playing it safe.

Hopefully will have some pics of the setup soon just a bare tank with no water in atm.

sambrinar

Congrats on your repair, glad things are comming back together for you,, we expect picts when you get it back together ;)

da456789

Its Back Up!!!!

:woohoo: :woohoo: Finaly the tank is back up. Need to redo the the rock. Skimmer is blowing some fine bubbles into the tank will try and fix that tmrw. But the a least tank is up and filled.

I am debating adding a starter bacteria from the lfs to start the cycle before i order my Floridia live rock. good or bad idea?

Here one of the first pics of the tank going to order about 30lbs more of live rock.:woohoo: :woohoo:

Attachments

• _IGP4535.jpg
    _IGP4535.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 61

da456789

:banghead:
I am torn between ordering from Florida Live Rock or Live Rock - Tampa Bay Saltwater Aquacultured Live Rock.

Using the Florida rock it would work out to about $8 per pound vrs $5-7 per pound locally for "Fiji'. The last live rock I bought locally at took almost 6 months before it showed any color. There is a new LFS and I have to pick up some replacement tests kits and thermometer. So I may check out what they have there.

Has anyone had any really bad experience with any of the 2 above vendors or with Florida live rock in general? What I am really liking on my research is the life on the rocks but the downside will be the hitchhikers. I only need about 30lbs to reseed the tank and existing dead rock.
:banghead:

da456789

I have looked at the live rock from most of the online vendors. The life on the Florida rock just beats the heck out of anything else but I wonder about the HH.
Also I have found all kind of good comments about Tampa bay saltwater. And just a few comments about Florida live rock. The only thing about TBS is that they only ship to the nearest airport but they ship in water. Florida live rock ships overnight DHL but the rocks are not shipped in water they still seemed to be packaged well though.

I just need to decide what I want to do.

da456789

Jackpot --- My lucky Day

Finally a bit of luck. The lfs had to redo his display tanks due to the storm and had a sale on live rock. It is fully cured. I am really hoping i can keep all the growth on it. Got all my test kits now going to run tests after supper and let y'all know te results. i may post more pics in the gallery to see if i can get sharper pics.

Pics below.

:bigbounce

Attachments

• IMGP4551.jpg
    IMGP4551.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMGP4552x.jpg
    IMGP4552x.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 46
  • IMGP4554x.jpg
    IMGP4554x.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IMGP4555x.jpg
    IMGP4555x.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 45
  • IMGP4569x.jpg
    IMGP4569x.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 45

da456789

Advice needed

Ouch

Need some advice guys.
Current Params
PH 7.8
Ammonia .6
Nitrite 4ppm --- probably higher --- test only goes to 4ppm
Nitrate 50ppm

I think the tank is starting to cycle -- I had added some starter bacteria to the sand bed a day aggo. The live rock went in today.

At this point how much water should i be changing out on a 46 Gal
5, 10 gals or more?

Thanks

sandyc

I would do 10 gallons per day until things are back to normal.

Looks like some nice rock you picked up. It will seed the tank well.

Best of luck on the rebuild. I'll bet the clowns can't wait to go from Walmart to the Ritz.:bouncer:

cbrownfish

This appears to be a brand new set up, so I would not change the water at this point. You need to let this tank complete the nitrogen cycle and become capable of managing a bioload. You have a lot of algae related growth on that "cured" rock and you may experience a bit of die off in that regard. That will naturally create more NH3 and help kick start the nitrogen cycle.

If you have added any livestock, I would pull it and find a temporary place for them. Start changing water when the nitrites and ammonia reach zero for a week or so.

da456789

advice needed

All my surviving fish are still in the qt. The reason I was asking about the water changes is because I had noticed some polyps, small bristle stars, small shrimp, snails, possible shrooms, corals and assorted other life all in the new rock.

I was wondering if the water changes would interrupt the cycle or it would be possible to save the life on the rocks?

cbrownfish

Water changes are definitely counterproductive. You may very well lose the corals but much of the microfauna is likely to survive.

da456789

More questions

I have seen close to 6 little serpent stars and 1 little red and black striped one in the new live rock along a lot of snails, worms and such. I have a feeling I am only seeing part of the life.
The reading from late last night was

Ammonia 1.6
Nitrites 4PPM --- max on the test
nitrates 100ppm -- max on the test

I know the tank is still cycling but would it be ok to start water changes now to bring down the readings in an attempt to save some of the life on and in the live rocks? I thought most the bacteria used in the cycle resides in the sand or the rocks. So if I start 10 gallon water changes how bad will it affect the cycle?
Also how long before the high levels start to effect the life on the live rock?

da456789

Tearing It down Again

Quick history found some chips and now what appears to be some hairline cracks on the side of the tank that was facing the window that exploded.

More info if wanted http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/general-reef-aquarium-discussion/38197-urgent-advice-needed.html

I am still calling around trying to find a 46 gallon bow tank locally no luck yet.

Kinda wish I had seen the damage before I filled the tank but I think the water pressure is what probably made the damage visable. What really bothers me is that the Amon readings where down to .01 with the nitrites down to 2ppm so the tank was close to finishing its cycle.

I am hoping to save the life rocks and all the life on them while i try and get a replacement tank in.

I am almost tempted to just find out what standard size tank would take 2 36 inch light fixtures and just upgrade to larger size tank.

da456789

opions needed --maybe bigger a lot bigger

I was going to the lfs to order another 46 bow I decided to look other tanks he had in stock. After the storm they had of lot of people who downsized tanks and sold out rather than restocking.

What I am looking at is a 1 year old used 210 gal perfecto with coral life power compact lights, dual returns, sump, pumps, heater and stand. for about $1000. A skimmer, sand , saltwater , install would run me about another 600.

IS that a decent price for a used tank?
Also has anyone heard anything about perfecto tanks?

Thank