Total tank crash – Gustav

da456789

First let me say everyone is ok and I do have insurance. So much for planning I did have 4 days of fuel for the generator and cold packs in the freezer for the reef tank. What I did not plan for was a tree coming down on the top of the roof over the tank. The tank got flooded with rainwater and runoff from the roof. With no way to move it and the salt mix and pre-mixed water ruined I decided to leave the tank and work saving whatever else we could out of the damage areas. By the time we got the tree off and tarp over the damage areas the only thing I was able to save was my 2 clownfish. Trying to save the tank was further complicated by the fact we had no power or phone service for 8 days following the storm. As I am posting this the contractor has started structural repairs and they should be finished in about 2-3 days. I still don’t know when I will be able set the tank back up – still waiting for the electrician, sheet rock, plumber and ac guys.

The question I have now is that since I had to wash out all the live rock and sand how should start the bacteria process back up. I was thinking of ordering some uncured live rock from some of the Florida providers or getting some elsewhere online. The reason I was looking a the Florida rocks it that with shipping time they should have a little more life on them giving me something to look at while I wait for the tank to cycle. What do you think of that idea?
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/15475/cat/519

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/15474/cat/519

Dave

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
So sorry to hear about your tank crash. Once you get it up and running let me know and I'll donate Xenia/FrogSpawn/Zoa frags from what I have available at the time.

Thank goodness no one was hurt. Property can be replaced. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Al

sambrinar

Ohh I am so sorry about your literal crash. I hope all turns out well. Sounds like a good idea to me. I believe the tampa bay rock tends to cycle faster because it is shipped in water and is taking straight out of the Ocean.

Hopefully someone will chime in soon with better info...

Good luck to you and your family

cbrownfish

Glad to hear that everyone is ok.....what a complete bummer! Sorry about your losses.

With the rock/sand, you can get those curing or reviving in rubbermaid tubs or trash cans and "seed" them with a few pieces of good live rock or some live sand. Add a powerhead, light and heater and you will be ready for the new tank in a short time.

BigJay

wow sorry to hear about the house. I hope you guys get everything in order without too much hassle. Your safe though thats what matters.

da456789

Thanks for the comments and support all. I tried the lights they still worked. I am going to try setup possible a rubber maid container to refresh the live rock. I have about 30lbs of live rock -- thinking of ordering about 30lbs more.

Has anyone ever ordered live rock from Florida Live Rock