Jeremy's 90 Gallon Build Mayhem!!

new reefer 03

I can tell your mobile lol,
Im on the ipod touch

pathetic on my part. lol. that was me on the computer... :nopity:

when im on my phone im actually better i think, i just get frustrated at the time it takes to load, like 10 seconds a page. stupid instinct doesnt have an antana ( spellin? ) lol

dianezoo

Jeremy, you mentioned an HOB came with the tank you picked up, and you wouldnt need it, but it might come in handy for a QT tank. (glad those wihite spots went away on your fish) yea.

Jeremy0322

Diane- I wont need it for the 90 cause I drilled it, but I dont know if I am instantly going to sell it, its big for anything I would consider using as a QT, so I dont know yet. If I do a QT right now it will be a 20 gallon long cause I had one and one came with the tank, but I would like to find something bigger as the sump for the new tank, like a 30 where 20 gallons of it could be a fuge with mangroves and chaeto! Im currently looking for a cheap tank locally that fits that description....

Alright, well I promised pictures and we all know I keep my promises! The first picture is the coral holding tank right now, with 2 HK 1's in it, its a 20 gallon tall tank with a 130 watt PC light.

CIMG5848.jpg

Next we have the 55 gallon tank thats still a little foggy from getting the rest of the sand out. There is still a little in there for the goby, but about 90% of it was taken out for the new tank.

CIMG5849.jpg

Here is what my room looks like, the cooler on the bottom is rock and on the top is sand, and then 2 of the buckets are also sand and the other 3 are rock, plus there is what I think it a 20 gallon rubbermade thing on the other side of the room also full of rock. I have rock everywhere:lookaroun

CIMG5846.jpg

CIMG5854.jpg

Here is the new tank next to the fireplace, and No, the firetruck isnt mine :lol:

CIMG5850.jpg

Here is what I bet some of you were waiting for. This is all i used to drill the tank minus a cup of water and a roll of duck tape. The plastic thing is a tupperware container that i cut the bottom out of, ducktaped around where the hole would be, and then filled it with water once it was water tight. From there I ran 3 strips of ducktape on the other side of the glass where the hole was to be drilled, and then folded a towel in half and set it on the other side of the tank on the ground to catch the glass if it fell, which it didnt this time. Then I started drilling, slowly, at about a 45 degree angle until there was a small divet made in the tank. That is made to make sure the bit doesnt skate around the tank, and from there you can slowly straighten it out and then SLOWLY drill through. About ever 3 minutes I soaked all the water up and put new cold water in (cold to the point that I had ice in the cup I was using) because this is what helps the but and the glass not heat up and crack the tank. It took about 20 minutes, and came out nice as you can see.

CIMG5853.jpg

CIMG5851.jpg

The little glass disk is what I took out, it amused me so I put it in this picture. I sent the overflow away today to have the final length adjustments made and will have it tomorrow, meaning that I can get it siliconed in tomorrow night and then get the rock in the tank once it is decided where it will sit in the living room. The rock will be sitting on eggcrate, and then a 3-4 inch sandbed will be put in the tank to facilitate a jawfish or two plus all the sand sifters I have. As you can tell im trying to set a speed record getting water in this tank :lol:

PS- I would also like to note that I drilled it by myself, with no assistance from anyone, in the middle of my living room floor. So for anyone out there thats considering drilling a tank, its REALLY not as big of a deal as anyone makes it out to be :thumbup:

sambrinar

Awww you scrubbed the fishies off!! How in the world do you get around in your room?? LOL

Looking good Jeremy

Ahvrivera

Looking good. Great job on the drilling:thumber:. I cracked 4 tanks when i was drilling my tanks when i had the store. Its nerve wrecking at first. luckly they were only 29's and not the 150gal ones. Its gonna be a sweet set up.

Jeremy0322

Awww you scrubbed the fishies off!! How in the world do you get around in your room?? LOL

Looking good Jeremy

I dont know what you mean by scrubbed the fishies off, so I will wait for clarification and then proceed accordingly. As for the room, I had 2 goals for the next hour, the first was getting pics posted and the second was reorganizing this place because it was driving me freaking INSANE:banghead: I have just finished goal 2, so im better now :java:

Looking good. Great job on the drilling:thumber:. I cracked 4 tanks when i was drilling my tanks when i had the store. Its nerve wrecking at first. luckly they were only 29's and not the 150gal ones. Its gonna be a sweet set up.

Thank you for the compliments! 29's werent the best thing to practice on, you would have been better off finding a used 55 and trying a few holes with that tank, the 29's have much thinner glass, meaning they break much easier. I drilled the 55 fine the first time I tried it and this 90 is the second tank I have ever attemped, so at the moment im 2 for 2 drilling tanks!

dianezoo

She's talking about the stencils or stickers (tacky artwork) that was on the canopy.you scrubbed them off? I wanna know what you did with the kid.

Jeremy0322

Quick and to the point, I like your style :thumbup: :lol:

Mr handy man. That little glass disc can be a frag mount. Your glass cutting technique was informative.

Thank you very much for the comment. I think tank drilling is something that everyone gets scared away from because of the off chance that the tank will break. If anyone is thinking about this PM me and I will go into much greater detail about how to do is safely and minimize the risk of the tank actually breaking.

She's talking about the stencils or stickers (tacky artwork) that was on the canopy.you scrubbed them off? I wanna know what you did with the kid.

Those were the crappy little foam thing that you can get an a craft store for like 2 bucks, I just pulled them off and most of them came off clean, some of them left little outlines which will be cleaned off soon enough, that doesnt HAVE to happen though until we stain the stand darker.

looking good, can't wait to see it set up!

can you even walk in your room without stepping in water? :p

I hate wearing shoes most of the time and I have had to wear them in my room for 24 hours, which was NOT ok, but its all better now :bouncer:

CIMG5855.jpg

Its clean now, it didnt take too long, everything is nice and organized, and I already found a buyer for the 55 who is willing to wait until im done using it for the hypo treatment, so thats good news!

Also...if anyone reading this is a fan of Metal music the new Lamb of God cd came out today, and its freaking awesome!

Ahvrivera

I had to drill 40 29gal tanks so 4 cracked isnt that bad a record LOL. And i went picked up the new lamb of god today too..... wicked awesome. i have it playing in the backround now. darn no headbanging smilie?????lol

Jeremy0322

I had to drill 40 29gal tanks so 4 cracked isnt that bad a record LOL. And i went picked up the new lamb of god today too..... wicked awesome. i have it playing in the backround now. darn no headbanging smilie?????lol

Dude...i looked for the head banging smiled too, it doesnt exist. Its an awesome CD, I have been playing it for hours now, it sounds awesome in the car setup I have, and its awesome there is another LoG fan in the house!!