Jeremy's 90 Gallon Build Mayhem!!

Jeremy0322

Today was mostly planning day for this as I wont be picking up the actual tank until Monday around 7:30. I was sitting in history with a piece of paper trying to sketch the setup out and it really wasnt working for me...so I tried something else. Let me know what you think! The pictures ARE to scale :D

plan2.jpg

plan1.jpg

plan3.jpg

I have the overflow being build right now out of 1/4 inch Lexan, which was the same thing my last one was made out of. The drain will be some form of standpipe on a 1" bulkhead(inner diameter), looking for a QUIET build, and the return will be 3/4" locline on a 1" bulkhead(also inner diameter). There will be a canopy, which I didnt include in the draft.

The sump, I am hoping, will be something around a 29 gallon long of a normal 30 gallon, I want the extra water volume and the chambers listed from left to right are drain section, fuge, return pump section. The drain section will be connected to the monster skimmer which im still looking for a pump for.

CIMG5446.jpg

That will be housed in the left addition of the stand, which MAY also be there I have all the electrical outlets and such to keep them away from water. Underneath the actual tank, like it shows will be where the sump/fuge sits, and there will be some form of either plastic holding bin or an actual waterproof sealant to keep water off of the bottom of the stand preventing rotting and mold. The 24" PC light that I bought (130watt) will be suspended over the fuge to grow the algaes and corals that I deem necessary, and there will be a ledge above that to store anything that I dont want in the "splash zone"

The right side will house what will eventually be an ATO of some sort, which right now is shown using a to scale 5 gallon bucket :lol: I would also like to get a few heavy duty sliding mechanisms for the bucket to sit on, kind of like a computer desk keyboard section, for easy access to filling the bucket depending on how I go about setting that up. On top of the right side I would like it to be strong enough to support a small child sitting on a cushion, my little step brother loves the tank so I am making him his own seat right up close to the action.

The fuge will have Mangroves, some chaeto, and maybe some xenia just to try it out. The tank itself will have between 80-120lbs of Live Rock in a center stack covering up the overflow with it being open on both sides. There will also be around a 4 inch sand bed so if I do decide to get a jawfish or two I have that luxury. Since this will be in the living room there will be some form of lock on every door so nothing gets dumped anywhere its not supposed to be dumped.

Let me know what you think, I love suggestions and things that could be done better, I want to do everything right this time!

new reefer 03

yay, im your first post ! :) :)

what program did you use to make these awesome to scale drawings?

are you using your PCs on the new tank?

Jeremy0322

yay, im your first post ! :) :)

what program did you use to make these awesome to scale drawings?

Its a program called Google SketchUp, its free and pretty easy once you get used to it!

are you using your PCs on the new tank?

For the time being yes. I know some people that know some people that may be having a T5 fixture come up for sale sometime soon though, so that will be replacing the PC's if that happens.

this looks like its just coming along. i wish my grandpa had this plastic connection :D :D

It makes stuff like this SOOO much easier!

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Looks like you have it worked out. I really don't understand the skimmer, but I've never had an external skimmer so that's no wonder. Does the pump for the skimmer need to have that high arching pipe work or can you locate the pump to the left of the skimmer? Are you building the custom stand?

Jeremy0322

That pipe is just the way it came, the air intake is at about the same height as the collection cup, probably so if the power goes out water doesnt shoot out of it, but thats just a random guess. I am going to be sanding down the stand that comes with it and then adding a few things to it, and then making the two attachments separately is the current plan.

plecosword

Did i make that party?! im jumping for you! you gotta update us on everything you do!

i see you used google sketchup, I never figured out how to use that software.

Jeremy0322

Once you play with it for a few hours everything just kind of clicks with it, and you guys know me, there will be updates ALL THE TIME!

plecosword

Once you play with it for a few hours everything just kind of clicks with it, and you guys know me, there will be updates ALL THE TIME!

i guess I jsut didn't have the patience lol

So I have been out of it, you are going to go pick up the tank soon, what will you do with this one?

Jeremy0322

I am picking up the tank monday night at 7:30, and then getting it ready.Then im going to drill it, install the overflow, and then do all the other assorted tasks that need be done. And then all in one day I would like to get it set up, all the rock work done, sand in, water cleared out, and then fish in all during that day. His rock is still live, my rock is still live, all the sand should be good, and I wont turn the sump on at that point yet, so there should be little to no cycle. From there I will be selling the RR 55 gallon, i wont need it anymore and it should help me make back some of the money the 90 cost me. This will all be for sale in a few weeks hopefully...

-Reef Ready 55 with stand and canopy
-100lbs of Live Rock
-2 Skimmers
-Some other random stuff, I wont know until I pick everything up

With that being sold I cant imagine not making 500 bucks, so everything I got was free. From there I can buy the new pump for the big skimmer and get that all hooked up! Its going to be a process though, the 2 skimmers will be used on the 90 until the 55 and the rock is sold, then I will buy the pump, and then sell the skimmers. Make any sense or am I just rambling?

Miltonic

wow, thats a lot of work for one day.

are you going to be using RO water? because when I filled my tank it took like 2 days to completely fill. longest two days of my life lol

Jeremy0322

Well, I dont know yet. I think im going to start the collection of bottled distilled water just so I dont have to wait, i will only need about 50 gallons of fresh water which would be around 30 bucks, would make it much easier to pull off the way I want to. From there I can use the water from my DT too and have a full tank and happy fish hopefully! I dont want to have to temporarily house them in a random tank, I want this to be a nice smooth transfer taking at MAX a few hours from one tank to the next

Jeremy0322

Alright, so for those of you that have been following my 55 thread most of you know I just picked up a baby purple tang. Well, I am having one heck of a time controlling the parameters in that little tank, and im starting to feel like I dont know why shes still in there if its a worse environment than the DT. What was in the DT has been exposed to her in the QT anyways through the filter pads, heater, and powerhead, so its not like anything new will be thrown at her, and with big yellows small showing of what was more than likely ich I am not too concerned about her bringing anything new to the big tank. I feel like it may be the best move to introduce her to the DT with the lights off for the night, and then if things turn south I will still be running the QT tank? Opinions?

Jeremy0322

no no no, only I get to change the name of my thread! :lol: Mayhem is a good word for what I am sure this will turn into anyways.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
I vote for putting the Purple tang in the DT until you get the QT under control with the proper level of bacteria to process the wastes. Then when you are ready to breakdown the 55 move the tang back to the QT after taking steps to get it ready for proper QT parameters.

Jeremy0322

Why thank you, good to have you here, wouldnt be complete without everyone from my old build thread. I actually considered sending out a joke pm inviting everyone who was tagging along on the 55 thread to the new "party area" :lol: