David's Red Sea Max C130

dgilbert2

Under reduced lighting I believe they would recover. In this case though its only two Zoa's on a rock of over 100 so hopefully an early warning to slow down with the lighting increases before damaging others.

dgilbert2

Update of the last couple of weeks.

Parameters still looking ok, thanks mainly to Foundation ABC+;

SG 1.025
NO3 0.2
PO4 0.015
KH 9.3
Mg 1335
CA 435
Iodine 0.06
Temp 25 deg C

StevesLED's now up at Blue 35% and White 45% (increasing 2% every 4 days).

Based on my Calcium weekly drop of around 20ppm, I'm now trying the Red Sea Colour programme and also their Coral Energy programme, especially as I have a low nutrient tank (low NO3 & PO4). Will see how this goes for a few weeks. I also have the Seachem Reef Trace and Plus following recommendations and good reviews. Taking it steady as always, going for the daily Red Sea Energy daily dosing for now but will change to Seachem in a couple of weeks to see if any difference.

Really seeing the benefit of supplying my pumps from 215V, as I'm able to control the tank temperature at 25Deg C now (was 28). Took the skimmer pump out to clean it the other day and the body was only luke warm after a couple of minutes, it used to get really hot!

Latest photos below and some new additions from a week ago;

IMG_6081b.jpg

IMG_6085b.jpg

IMG_6086b.jpg

and for my new additions;

Goniopora (captive grown);
IMG_6082b.jpg

Brain (Button?) Coral, interesting transparent flesh!
IMG_6088b.jpg

Trumpet Coral;
IMG_6083b.jpg

Small plate coral frag;
IMG_6084b.jpg

Last edited:

bazmackem

Update of the last couple of weeks.

Parameters still looking ok, thanks mainly to Foundation ABC+;

SG 1.025
NO3 0.2
PO4 0.015
KH 9.3
Mg 1335
CA 435
Iodine 0.06
Temp 25 deg C

StevesLED's now up at Blue 35% and White 45% (increasing 2% every 4 days).

Based on my Calcium weekly drop of around 20ppm, I'm now trying the Red Sea Colour programme and also their Coral Energy programme, especially as I have a low nutrient tank (low NO3 & PO4). Will see how this goes for a few weeks. I also have the Seachem Reef Trace and Plus following recommendations and good reviews. Taking it steady as always, going for the daily Red Sea Energy daily dosing for now but will change to Seachem in a couple of weeks to see if any difference.

Really seeing the benefit of supplying my pumps from 215V, as I'm able to control the tank temperature at 25Deg C now (was 28). Took the skimmer pump out to clean it the other day and the body was only luke warm after a couple of minutes, it used to get really hot!

Latest photos below and some new additions from a week ago;

IMG_6081b.jpg

IMG_6085b.jpg

IMG_6086b.jpg

and for my new additions;

Gonipora (captive grown);
IMG_6082b.jpg

Brain Coral, interesting transparent flesh!
IMG_6088b.jpg

Trumpet Coral;
IMG_6083b.jpg

Small plate coral frag;
IMG_6084b.jpg
Beautiful as ever mate!! Bet those lates corals cost you a bomb! I was an inch away from buying the orange plate in LFS a week ago... £45. Will def get one eventually! Flowerpot is beautiful.... Still can't believe mine (alveopora) was killed! Where did you get these - that brain is amazing.... Is it semi transparent like a jellyfish!? Was that and the plate pricey?

Re your levels, I haven't got that far into testing etc yet, but everything seems fine. Still have nitrate of approx 10 but is it right that it shouldn't be absolutely eradicated? I'm waiting for my to unit to arrive... Which salt do you go for... I've read Red Sea coral pro has calc etc in it to help corals pop!

Any chance of a pic of the plate coral and brain with just the blue on?

dgilbert2

Beautiful as ever mate!! Bet those lates corals cost you a bomb! I was an inch away from buying the orange plate in LFS a week ago... £45. Will def get one eventually! Flowerpot is beautiful.... Still can't believe mine (alveopora) was killed! Where did you get these - that brain is amazing.... Is it semi transparent like a jellyfish!? Was that and the plate pricey?

Re your levels, I haven't got that far into testing etc yet, but everything seems fine. Still have nitrate of approx 10 but is it right that it shouldn't be absolutely eradicated? I'm waiting for my to unit to arrive... Which salt do you go for... I've read Red Sea coral pro has calc etc in it to help corals pop!

Any chance of a pic of the plate coral and brain with just the blue on?

Hi Baz, i got the orange plate coral some weeks ago for about £45. If you look back through my photos you can see how much bigger it expands now. All my new corals were around £40-45, mainly from Wharf Aquatics Pinxton (really, really helpful and thoroughly recommended). They have an amazing flourescent pink bubble coral (I think) which cost £149. Absolute stunner but I chickened out at the price!

My Nitrates are low but I've had my Live Rock for about 8 years so the anaerobic bacteria is well developed now without any help from me. The advice I've had is you need 0.05 - 2 Nitrate but with established live rock it must be quite hard to get it to go up!? What unit are you waiting to arrive?

I now use H2Ocean salt as of the last couple of months. I did use Instant Ocean but the foundation levels were not high enough.

I'll get those photos in a few minutes.

Last edited:

bazmackem

Sorry I have bought a portable to unit, so about to start mixing my own!! Read good things about that Red Sea coral - will look at yours, you happy with it? They had a bleeding apple scolymia (?) for £199 in LFS and it was amazing but too early for that kind of madness!!!!!!

dgilbert2

Sorry I have bought a portable to unit, so about to start mixing my own!! Read good things about that Red Sea coral - will look at yours, you happy with it? They had a bleeding apple scolymia (?) for £199 in LFS and it was amazing but too early for that kind of madness!!!!!!

The photos you asked for below (just Blue LEDs), not sure if that's what you meant though!

The brain coral does not pop much at all, the plate coral does a little but the photo looks really strange! My other brain coral below though does pop, even the frogspawn in the background of the photo!

IMG_6090b.jpg

IMG_6089b.jpg

IMG_6091b.jpg

NickF

Some great looking corals there, love the yellow plate and the colour on the Brain coral is amazing, though I think it looks more like a Cynarina (button) coral. They had a couple at my lfs but the colours weren't anywhere near that nice, they called them doughnut corals.
Goniopora are supposed to be hard to keep, I had one that slowly bleached over a couple of months then died but I think it was partly due to every time I target fed it my emerald crab would make an appearance and pick out all its food, and I mean EVERY time! I was gutted, they are really nice corals.

bazmackem

That is what I was after!!! I love the fluorescence under the blues! I like that first brain with the white parts showing! The orange looks amazing under the blues, is it that bright at night? Any the bottom one just looks magic!!!

dgilbert2

You will not regret being able to prepare your own RO/DI water and mixing your own saltwater.

Red Sea Coral Pro and H2Ocean salts are probably on par with each other?

I know what you mean about the prices, you don't want to wake up to £200 worth of coral being eaten!

bazmackem

What did you
Some great looking corals there, love the yellow plate and the colour on the Brain coral is amazing, though I think it looks more like a Cynarina (button) coral. They had a couple at my lfs but the colours weren't anywhere near that nice, they called them doughnut corals.
Goniopora are supposed to be hard to keep, I had one that slowly bleached over a couple of months then died but I think it was partly due to every time I target fed it my emerald crab would make an appearance and pick out all its food, and I mean EVERY time! I was gutted, they are really nice corals.
What did you target feed with nick??

dgilbert2

I'm terrible with the names, perhaps it is a button coral, the structure of the skeleton is just like a brain though hence my confusion?!

Yes the Gonioporas are harder but was told as it was captive-grown they were hardier? Fact or a good saleman o_O

Last edited:

dgilbert2

That is what I was after!!! I love the fluorescence under the blues! I like that first brain with the white parts showing! The orange looks amazing under the blues, is it that bright at night? Any the bottom one just looks magic!!!
To be honest I don't look at my tank under moonlights. The white in the brain coral is actually green, just the camera struggling. The plate looked "ok" but the real star was the last Brain picture hence I shared it above.

bazmackem

To be honest I don't look at my tank under moonlights. The white in the brain coral is actually green, just the camera struggling. The plate looked "ok" but the real star was the last Brain picture hence I shared it above.
Is that the green one on the full tank shot?