Zoa not opening after transfer to another tank!!

I recently built up a frag tank that is 10 gallon tank with one power head and filter that has carbon and filterfloss in it. I added new live sand but the water is from my old established tank that is 10 months old.
The thing is after I transfer all my fragged zoa into new tank, they were first open on the first day then some of them start to close and stays closed. Its been like almost a week now. Right now has 50% of zoa are not opening, there are all kinds of zoa such as orange muals, devil amor, regular pink etc. Does any one know what is causing they not opening, or its normal, and i should wait for weeks.
I dont believe there is bug or nudi or pest, cuz the water is from the big tank and they were opening. So now maybe the lighting caused the problem??

my old tank is Red sea max 250------------------------------------10g frag tank
6 T5 bulbs ------------------------------------------------------------ 1 par led 38bulb with 24 watts (6blue,2white, 1red, 1yellow,2UV?) is hanging 20inch from the top
nitrate 0--------------------------------------------------------------- The water is from the big tank,one big live rock,one small power head and one aqua clear filter
phosphate 0-----------------------------------------------------------one clown fish but feeding 4 tiny mysis shrimp per day
kh 7.5
ca 420
ph 7.9-8.1
All reading from API test kit, I know pho and nitrate cant be 0 but should be slightly off cuz the test kit isnt that good, at least its from my reading

a pic when they were in main tank
null_zps385e0426.jpg

this is the pic now in frag tank, Also noticed red slime algae floating and attaching to frags, I have tried to brushed them off, can this cause the issue?
null_zps2100627a.jpg

One pic when par light on
null_zps6d0e773c.jpg

null_zpsfffc74b8.jpg

mikejrice

I would guess that it's a maturity problem with the new tank. What do you have as far as bio-filtration on that tank?

R1junkie

You didn't mention one parameter that i know will keep zoas closed for days and that is water temp, I know in my own tank if the temp gets over 80 the zoas do not like to open. The palys on the other hand don't seem to mind.

reefer gladness

Your tank is going through a mini cycle which is normal. Red slime is usually associated with overfeeding, waterflow and lighting are also factors. My guess is the filtration system isn't able to keep up with clownfish poo. Where do you put the live rock? Was it from your old tank? I only see a HOB filter in the pic.

Alk and pH are both a little low. Not sure if it would be enough to prevent them from opening but I would do a 50% waterchange. I wouldn't bother dosing in a small frag tank like that, easier and better IMO to do large water changes and replenish all the trace elements at the same time.

If you suspect light shock then move the zoas to the darker corners of the tank. They can thrive in fairly low light conditions.

yea, that I dont worry cuz the tank is always 25C sometimes 23C in the night, before they moved, the main tank temp was 27-28C, but they still do well.
You didn't mention one parameter that i know will keep zoas closed for days and that is water temp, I know in my own tank if the temp gets over 80 the zoas do not like to open. The palys on the other hand don't seem to mind.

maybe the light is the fact now. I put the live rock with some zoa on it right under the filter, the rock was from my old tank as well.
the parameter shouldnt be a big problem, cuz all the water were from big tank and before they were all doing good. But I would do maybe 25-50% water change. Dont think need Ca or Kh dosing at this moment cuz all soft coral no hard corals yet.
also i did just moved all closed ones in to darker area but not too many different.
null_zps92bdccfd.jpg

Your tank is going through a mini cycle which is normal. Red slime is usually associated with overfeeding, waterflow and lighting are also factors. My guess is the filtration system isn't able to keep up with clownfish poo. Where do you put the live rock? Was it from your old tank? I only see a HOB filter in the pic.

Alk and pH are both a little low. Not sure if it would be enough to prevent them from opening but I would do a 50% waterchange. I wouldn't bother dosing in a small frag tank like that, easier and better IMO to do large water changes and replenish all the trace elements at the same time.

If you suspect light shock then move the zoas to the darker corners of the tank. They can thrive in fairly low light conditions.

anthony27

Well I would def add live rock from your old tank to that tank. The water does not hold a lot of bacteria so you need to add your live rock :) that will prevent the cycle. Also when you do the tank add non live sand and take a scoop of your own sand into the tank you are setting up and add live rock that way u don't have 2 different strands of bacteria ;$

yea,i acutally did put live rock, just not at the time that i took the photo.
Well I would def add live rock from your old tank to that tank. The water does not hold a lot of bacteria so you need to add your live rock :) that will prevent the cycle. Also when you do the tank add non live sand and take a scoop of your own sand into the tank you are setting up and add live rock that way u don't have 2 different strands of bacteria ;$