Yellow Watchman Goby is never seen, but is decimating my pods.

Ryan927

Hey all, I have a 90 gallon reef, (well FOWLR, soon to be reef) and I purchased a YWG/Pistol shrimp really early on. I wasnt planning on it, I was just at the LFS browsing one time and I knew I wanted a goby someday and well...you know the rest.

Anyways since Ive got him, he and the shrimp have burrowed the crap out of the sand, LR, but I swear I NEVER see the goby. I thought he was dead, until about a week ago I caught a 10 second glimpse of him poking his head out, first time ive seen him since the week I got him. I see the Pistol every now and then when I feed, he'll crawl out and try to grab a bite, but no signs of the goby except every now and then ill see marks in the sand as if a snake slithered through there. Only other fish in the tank is a Oc Clown, and a really small CUC.

I wouldnt be concerned about it, but I think dude is decimating my pod population, which used to be pretty decent. Now I barely see maybe 3-5 bugs when I turn the flashlight on at night. Used to be 40-50.

Any way to coax him out? Maybe as more fish get added they will act like dithers and draw him out? Any way to catch him without tearing up the whole tank? Any goby trap ideas out there? I dont really want some unseen ghost pod eater in my tank. If he let me look at him every now and then I wouldnt mind it, but this little dude is getting a free lunch.

I had hopes of getting a mandarin dragonet someday.

Is this normal? Maybe still acclimating?

QuentinB

Mine was too, mgraf. I know some have different personalities though, perhaps it has to do with where they were collected?

lcstorc

Any fish you get will love to eat pods. They are a favorite snack.
Shas the goby paired with the shrimp? It's odd for you to see the shrimp but not the goby.

Snelly40

haha yah its usually the goby that is the lookout..i used to see my goby all the time and shrimp only on rare occasions..such a cute pair

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Just about all fish will eat pods that's why their usually more active at night. Your pod population will increase/decrease depending on food availability, how long has this tank been setup ? How much LR do you have ?
AFA the shrimp and digging that's what they do, they'll dig tunnels everywhere and if a coral gets in the way then he'll try to move it ...lol

Here's mine eating a Bristle worm:

86116_1611.JPG

And here the shrimp is trying to move my cup coral:

86111_1147.JPG