Yellow Tangs have Ich

jpsika08

Well, my six tangs have Ich good thing they are in QT tank which now is an HT.

Beginning Hypo-salinity treatment as today, salinity already at 1.013 and tomorrow it goes down to 1.008.
Can I use small amounts of Kalkwasser to keep PH up? or better get Baking soda and bake it?

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Dude. Water changes. What's the Ph of ur water pre qt.

.............I'm feeling salty.

Funlad3

Well, that sucks Juan. Like you said though, at least they're in QT! I'd use the baked baking soda (sodium carbonate), as it doesn't temporarily drop the pH, although it will increase the SG. Good luck Juan! :D

lethal

Sorry to hear about that Juan, but i'm sure you'll pull them through.

leebca

Just follow the guidelines, Juan. Use the baking soda that has been 'cooked' according to the instructions in the post. With some experience you can drip a solution of it in VERY slowly to stabilize the pH, and yet compensate for evaporation.

Why did you have four Tangs in quarantine? Are they all in the same quarantine tank?

jpsika08

Dude. Water changes. What's the Ph of ur water pre qt.

.............I'm feeling salty.

Thanks Matt, these fish never left QT, it has always been around 7.9 - 8.0

:( sorry for the trouble Juan. :(

Thanks Steve

Sorry to hear! How long have you had them?

2 weeks, though, they where in QT 2 weeks at my LFS prior to go to my house.

Well, that sucks Juan. Like you said though, at least they're in QT! I'd use the baked baking soda (sodium carbonate), as it doesn't temporarily drop the pH, although it will increase the SG. Good luck Juan! :D

Thanks Ben.

Sorry to hear about that Juan, but i'm sure you'll pull them through.

Just follow the guidelines, Juan. Use the baking soda that has been 'cooked' according to the instructions in the post. With some experience you can drip a solution of it in VERY slowly to stabilize the pH, and yet compensate for evaporation.

Why did you have four Tangs in quarantine? Are they all in the same quarantine tank?

Thank you Lee, all of them came from the same tank at the LFS, and yes, they are in the same tank at my QT.

ich is one of my worst pet peives in saltwater. good luck with the tangs :lookaroun

Thanks.

jpsika08

Quick question, as I'm going down to 1.008 at this level only fish will be able to be in there, what happens with the bio-filter or beneficial bacteria?

steved13

PREMIUM
Quick question, as I'm going down to 1.008 at this level only fish will be able to be in there, what happens with the bio-filter or beneficial bacteria?

I think I remember reading, you have to use water changes to keep parameters OK for fish.

dmatt88

There is little Bio filtration happening now buddy. Id do wc every 2 days. Need it or not. Don't dose anything just wc it out.

.............stay thirsty my friend.

jpsika08

Thanks Matt,
The thing is that the Tangs are very stressed out, even though they are small they keep fighting against each other.
Instead of getting one or two fish per tank I decided to buy a big 70 Gal Tank with diffuser separators so I can keep two on each.
Managing one big tank is much easier than having them spread out and controlling water params on each (It would drive me crazy).

This tank will have a bigger Skimmer, a UV Sterilizer and a Bio sponge (Bio as it's the one I used to kick start the QT).

I was thinking of using 50% of the actual water in the 20 Gal QT tank and the rest newly made water, would this be ok?

leebca

the bacteria Will usually jusT be fine. However, sometimes the bacteria will go into stasis. If they were there in enough numbers to handle that bioload, they usually will be fine.

jpsika08

Thank you Lee, I have two sponges basically cooking over a month in my sump, I will use the one that is in the QT now and a new one (2 Total in the big QT) so I can be sure there are enough bacterias around.

gimmito

Hi Juan,

Sorry to hear about the ich outbreak. Are you treating copper in conjunction with hypo ? When I had two of my six yellow tangs break out with ich (in QT), I treated with Rid Ich plus (per directions). Remember the clock goes back to zero once the tangs are clear of ich. I would highly recommend a full 8 weeks in QT thereafter.

Buena Suerte Hermano.