yellow pygmy? rockbeauty? Cross between?

morrowss

I picked up this yellow angel because i've never seen one like it...It is completely yellow except for the bottom fin...it has an orange stripe with blue outline and the rest of the fin is blue and yellow with some spotting like a leopard? Has anyone seen one like it? Sorry for the bad picture
Thanks,Art
pymy.jpg

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I can't ID it but I do have to say it looks awfully similar (in body composition) to your Coral Beauty. Watch out for aggression between those two for that very reason.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
that's just the Juvenile coloration of the
Rock Beauty Angelfish
(Holacanthus tricolor)

Be warned it's diet consists mainly of SPONGES and is very difficult to care for long-term in the home aquarium

***Added***

This fish requires a LARGE system with the suggested MIN tank being 100+ gallons

morrowss

I can't ID it but I do have to say it looks awfully similar (in body composition) to your Coral Beauty. Watch out for aggression between those two for that very reason.

In that tank i had the coral and a bicolor in there for over a year and the yellow one was added about 3 months ago...it's weird they all get along great never showing aggression....although the bicolor and coral didn't like the yellow one for about a day then they traveled fine together

morrowss

that's just the Juvenile coloration of the
Rock Beauty Angelfish
(Holacanthus tricolor)

Be warned it's diet consists mainly of SPONGES and is very difficult to care for long-term in the home aquarium

***Added***

This fish requires a LARGE system with the suggested MIN tank being 100+ gallons

Well it doesnt have any other color on the body just yellow..no dark spot at all...it does like mysis and algea they are in a 75 gal with a 30 refugium and that tank has tons of different sponges...more power to him if he starts eating them

morrowss

Here is a different picture..hard to take pics he never sits still...but he's all yellow with just a weird color fin?
yellowf.jpg

seafansar

Looks kind of like a false lemon peel to me, Centropyge heraldi, but that weird marking on the tail makes me think it's not. Good luck trying to find out what it is. Wish I could be more help.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
It looks like a hybrid. there are some of it's marking that still make me thing it's at least partly a juve Holacanthus tricolor

DaveK

I find it tough to believe that the fish in question is partly a rock beauty (Holacanthus tricolor). It lacks the usual usual black area on the fish and the stripes on the dorsal and anal fins are usually not on a rock beauty. I could see the stripes going either way since it could be a cross breed, but I'd expect to see some of the black markings the fish is famous for.

All that being said, I don't know what it is either.

nightfire76

i havent seen that guy around either,though it is a beauty,not many nice looking dwarfs around like larger angels