Yellow Leather advice?

Jess

I have a big yellow leather that just doesn't seem to be at it's happiest. If anyone has experience with these can you tell me what it needs to thrive?

reefsurf

how long have you had it? where is it located in your tank as far as flow and light? i have one and like other softies it has moments it'll be withdrawn and the polyps wont be extended. but then it'll open up and look great....they tend to go through these cycles i think? mine is near the bottom with moderate flow.........also though, like xenia they can be a barometer for water conditions imo

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
reefsurf has asked the right questions.

My leathers also tend to "pout" on occasion. Sometimes for NO reason but something right before they really have a growth spurt.

Also when they are getting read y to "slough off" their old tissue they will "wilt/pout" and start shedding.

Make sure all your water params are GREAT and it should be fine. The more you MESS with it the longer it takes :)

Jess

I've had it for a few weeks, maybe a month. Its placed near the top (I was told it wants high light) and I just added another powerhead for more flow. It does not seem to be any different. I know they change throughout the day, but it doesn't seem happy. Actually, it is basically acting like a protein skimmer and collecting all kinds of crap on itself!! Occasionally I blow it off with a turkey baster in the water to clean it off.... :look:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Mine like to be lower in the tank and do NOT like direct flow. Maybe that's the case. Has it ever been really FULLY open?

Actually one of mine is almost IN the shade.

Jess

BigAl, when they slough off their old skin, does it look brown and nasty? Maybe that's what it's trying to do and I'm not letting it. crap! :ignore:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Yeah that's fairly accurate. Mine here in the office looks that way every morning when the tank lights come on and in about 15 minutes it's FULL and happy looking.

Jess

It's so hard to know what to do when I get so many different answers. The guy at my LFS said it loves light AND flow. And when I bought it, it was way up top with pretty much direct flow, and it looked stunning. It has never looked that in my tank. I think I've seen it fully open a couple of times...

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Jess there is so MUCH we don't know about our corals. You ask 20 people the same question you'll get 19.5 different answers. Something that works PERFECTLY in my tank may or may not work in your tank. You just have to try and make educated and calculated moves with your tank. If you try something see it out and don't try a LOT of different things at one time.

lcstorc

If you are seeing gunk gather on it, then I would put it in a bit higher flow to remove the detritus. I have all of my leathers on the bottom but I have a pretty high amount of light. That can make all of the difference. Can you post a pic of it? There are a lot of different types of leathers and some like a bit different treatment than others. I have a long polyp toadstool that loves flow and a short polyp toadstool that prefers lower flow. As long as the coral isn't getting squishy and crumbly you can experiment to find what it likes.

jaybroreef

You Know Guys, I Just Leave Mine Alone.....sometimes They Act Like This For Weeks, Just Dont Give Up Onit.if It Starts Falling Apart On Ya, You Got A Big Prob. One Thing You Could Do If Yer Really Really Concerned, Is Gently Lift It Up, And Give It A Nice Little Sniff. If Its Dead Or Dying You Will Know. Good Luck!!!!!

reefsurf

It's so hard to know what to do when I get so many different answers. The guy at my LFS said it loves light AND flow. And when I bought it, it was way up top with pretty much direct flow, and it looked stunning. It has never looked that in my tank. I think I've seen it fully open a couple of times...

the light and flow might be very different near the top in your lfs than it is in your tank up high....things to consider

Jess

Good news jaybroreef, my leather passed the sniff test! I guess I'll leave it alone. I just did a water change and am just gonna let him be. Here's a pic I took 10 minutes ago:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3587/3376388393_8818902dd8_b.jpg

3376388393_8818902dd8_b.jpg

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I fixed the "code" for the pic.

Yeah that's how my leather looks every morning. Hopefully it's just pouting for now :)

Dragonne

One thing I've noticed about them is that if they show ANY polyp extension at all (the little bumps yours is showing qualify) then it's not dying. Generally I leave them alone and they settle in after a while and are fine (as many have said). If they go without any polyp evidence for a while, and the outer skin isn't really shiny (shedding) then it's time to worry. Yours looks like it might be unhappy about something. What other corals are in the path of the water current that is passing around it? Could there be an irritating chemical defense from another coral being pushed right into it?