Yellow Fiji Leather Coral

robpam

Yellow Fiji Leather Coral
(Sarcophyton elegans)

any thoughts on these, I have many other softies and LPS corals, I tried one of these a couple of years ago lasted a month. Just got another last week and it's already starting to fade.

I have a 90g reef and none of my other corals are having issues, Maybe this is just one I can't keep alive?

robpam

Thanks, I do run carbon and yes I keep them in higher lighting, I did more research and turn out these don't like to to be moved around and don't handle changes as well as others. I bought this online so possibly the trek through Fed Ex was a little much.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Can you post a picture of the Fiji? If you're not familiar with leathers, they often "take a nap" for days, till they shed a skin and pop out the polyps. It's their way of getting rid of surface dirt, algae and bacteria.

proenca

easy coral, the more light the better and the faster it grows.

like Terry said, it regulary shrinks for a few days ( 1-2-3 at most ) and it sheds away a slime - its way to take out algae and bacteria that lodged there.

one good way to avoid this ( or to make it shed ) , give indirect current, since their shape is like a "cup", they tend to be deposits of floating debris in the tank.. so if you do some sort of indirect current, it wont deposit there and wont shed so often.

no problem in shedding though, natural process