Yellow Fiji Leather Coral sick??

alphasierra

Hi guys,

Just after some advice regarding my yellow Fiji leather coral. For the past 2 weeks is hasn't looked its best. There appears to be a slight brown colour on some of the extensions. Is it molting... anything major to be concerned with?

23rd Jan 09 (day after being introduced into the tank)
LeatherCoralf.jpg

And now, 17th April 09
DSCN1619.jpg

DSCN1618.jpg

Thanks in advance

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
First off BEAUTIFUL coral :D

• How long have you had it?
  • Anything else change in your tank?
  • what are your current (today if possible) water test results?
  • Are you running CARBON?

alphasierra

Hey BigAl07,

Thankyou....

Since the 22nd Jan 09
Nothing has changed in the tank
Yes I run Carbon (chemi-pure elite)

As of the 16th April:
Temp 25.9 (79)
S.G 1.024 (Red sea Hydrometer & Aqua medic)
PH 8.0 (API & Red Sea)
Alk 2.86 (Salifert)
KH 8.0 (Salifert)
Ca 440 (Salifert)
NH3 0 (API)
NO2 0 (API)
NO3 0 (API)
PO4 0 (Salifert)
Mg 1380 (Salifert)
Cu 0 (API)

My thread has more info there.
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/38832-rsm-adventure.html

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
All those params look really good. It's possible it's just "Sloughing Off" the outer layer of skin. This is how leathers "Clean" themselves often. Also most leathers will "Pout" for days on end. Just watch it and enjoy your system.

razorvines

Yeah my leather is quick to pout, but typically later in the day it is out in full force. What kind of tank, lights and flow do you have?

razorvines

Just read through your RSM adventure. It looks like the leather is pretty happy in some of your pictures. Even though it doesn't show it close up, you can tell the way it is standing up it seems pretty happy.

alphasierra

All those params look really good. It's possible it's just "Sloughing Off" the outer layer of skin. This is how leathers "Clean" themselves often. Also most leathers will "Pout" for days on end. Just watch it and enjoy your system.

Thanks BigAl07. That's what I'd thought and read else where. Hopefully it will brighten up again.

alphasierra

Just read through your RSM adventure. It looks like the leather is pretty happy in some of your pictures. Even though it doesn't show it close up, you can tell the way it is standing up it seems pretty happy.

Thanks razorvines. I presume you got the answers to the questions you were asking from my thread. I'm hoping it will improve. It is now in it's final place (ie: no more moving it around the tank) which does affect it too. Thanks again.