Wolfgangs 50 gallon adventure.

Wolfgang8810

Earlier this week my Aquapod decided it was time to start leaking. After going through my options I came to one that I was happy with.

Moving everything in the 24 to the 50.

This included selling my freshwater fish cleaning the tank rediculously well, filling the tank with water then as you all know mixing the salt.

I let the salt mix for about 12 hours if not more giving me a reading of 1.024 which I think is pretty darn good for eyeballing it. The pod was at 1.030 anyways so there shouldn't be much of a fallout. Moved the rocks first. Then syphoned the pod then scooped out all of my sand and transplanted it to the new 50 gallon reef.

Currently it is sitting under a 150W 12 or 14K halide. I will soon be replacing the bulb with either a 15k or 20k bulb. This will be my show tank not a frag tank (Please keep reminging me lol).

The only fish in the pod was a flame clown I have been looking for months to get another one so they could hang out to no avail. None of the stores are willing to order me one and I wont buy online.

In my 90 I was trying to introduce another juvi maroon to the tank. 15 minutes in and it was apparent by the shredded fins that it wasnt going to work out. So I plopped it in the 50.

Both clowns appear to be happy together and are actually swimming side by side.

Now since you have all been good boys and girls Ill reward you with some pictures lol.

BEFORE:

Aquapod.jpg

AFTER:

rock.jpg

sand.jpg

final.jpg

All of the corals that were int he pod are still doing great but wont be moving back in for a little while so I can see how well my light will take care of them.

Tank dimensions 36 7/8x19x19 5/8

In hind sight the koralia #4 may be a bit overwhelming for the two 1" fish lol. Ill be adding the filtration soon. For now my rocks are all the filtration im going to need.

Thanks for reading and stay tuned. I like to take pictures. :clink:

Wolfgang8810

Thanks, I try :D

As for the skimmer. I am going to have to build a sump first. Ill keep you updated.

Im thinking of making my own out of a 20 gallon tank. [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]24 1/4 x 12 1/2 x 16 3/4 are the dimensions. 800GPH overflow to a Quiet one 4000. Should be a fun project. Skimmer TBD I may just be running a Nextreef MR1 shorty.

Just ordered two Koralia Evo 750s That combined wiht the nano to keep the back clean and this tanks hould be rocking.
[/FONT]

Wolfgang8810

haha. Wish I read this sooner. I bought the eshopps wet dry from Kd's it will work out nicely. Also the twin 750s came in today and the tank is flowin. Also ordered the Nextreef Shorty for the sump.

On a sad note one head of my torch appears to be dying. Its losing some flesh and I can see the skeleton around the rim but the head right next to it is doing great. Dam clown fish! Not sure what to do. I may separate the heads and move one to a lower flow area. I need advising.

750s.jpg

sump.jpg

Wolfgang8810

the torch has since stopped deteriorating. It is lookign better in the 90 (which has the same amount of flow as the 50
angry.gif
) today I bought a pretty little frogspawn that is looking mighty florescent under my halide. Im currently dripping it to give it the best chance of survival possible. I will also be putting it in the lower flow area.

One change to the tank. I put the koralias on a timer. every half hour or so they switch and at night only the surface one goes letting the bottom rest a little more. My overflow and pump should be here tomorrow so opefully I can get this thing plumbed over the weekend and get some actual filtration going on in there.

Parameters.
Sal: 1.025
PH: 8.2
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate 5ppm
Calcium: 600
Phosphates: 0ppm (no algae to soak it up either)

Somethign else struck me..... The water is down right chilly (to me) sitting around 72-75. I loathe the idea of having to use a heater.