Windex leaching through glass.?

mt79

Has anyone ever heard of people who have had problems b/c they use windex to clean their aquarium? I'm not talking about overspray, etc., but it actually, over time, leaching nasty things into the aquarium? Kind of an "off "question huh lol.

mt79

Thats what I thought, but I was told by someone who's sister is in the science field, that aquariums "breath in" through the glass (that is why water doesn't leach out). Just curious about what others think...

BoomerD

IMO, that's just an old wives tale. It has been around for a long time, but I've used Windex on my tanks for 30 years with NO problems. I DO however advocate the use of the vinegar formulas over the ammonia ones, incase of overspray, or excessive fumes.
Probably the BEST way to clean the outside glass, is with water and newspaper. Virtually streak-free, and leaves NO residue of any kind.

mt79

BoomerD said:
Probably the BEST way to clean the outside glass, is with water and newspaper. Virtually streak-free, and leaves NO residue of any kind.
I'm going to try that. After chatting w/ a few people I am certain that windex leaching into your system is not an issue. Thanks guys/gals.

proud2bcanadian

BoomerD said:

Never heard of that before!
I'll have to give that a shot too!

jcoopergd

One thing to watch out for is the saltwater leeching back into your windex bottle - ive runied a few good bottles of windex that way - just make sure you use the "windex" brand windex, not the cheap verisons - the windex brand uses a better "saltwater proof" bottle that will insure you don't ruin the windex..

j