Why is my Frogspawn receding??

I had this wall frogspawn for 2-3weeks now in my tank, it was fully open and expanded before until I notice one part of my coral is receding from yesterday,and I took a careful obervation today, notice it got a little worth.
My tank is 65Gallon tank 6 months old, All my other corals are opened fully and fish are healthy. I have 3hammer, 1 acan, 1 pipe organ, 2soft coral, 1 favia, 1 bubble etc. fish i have 2 clown 1 cardinal 1 mandarin goby, 1 sixline wrasse( all reef safe, and never see them do anything to corals)
salinty at 1.025-26.
Ca 480,
Ph 8-8.2
kh 6-7( I know this is a bit low, but since Ive been battling with the kh for months now but didnt see improvement with MarineLand, and now I switched to Seacham today, I just did dose some, I will do a kh test later to see how it is).
Ammo 0,
Nitrate 0,
Nitrite 0-5ppm
Pho 0-5ppm( cant tell by my API test kit, but very un-noticeable)

0B1A9DE7-0AFD-43ED-8A34-23271D216A66-5791-000003EDBDECDADF_zps3a443b69.jpg

5714805D-1165-4A91-B522-77E532A8D052-5791-000003EDBB6E5E42_zps6b426d9e.jpg

ED5E5879-E3F9-4759-A0D4-E71F18942A08-5791-000003EDB647E000_zps22f8adba.jpg

B8F5CF61-9243-4DE2-8064-BC2516CC7375-5791-000003EDB8CBAFD4_zpsaf7b798e.jpg

Notice its maybe not just receding,one tissue is coming off maybe?? Should I still wait and obeserve or try to cut the receding part off , what are my options ??

Kongor

I had the same problem with my hammer coral, actually the same exact size and shape. I moved it to lower flow and it opened back up and looks great. Maybe that area is getting too much flow??

really? thats good news to me ahah. It at the very low current in my tank already, but I moved it to some where else just see how it react now...
I had the same problem with my hammer coral, actually the same exact size and shape. I moved it to lower flow and it opened back up and looks great. Maybe that area is getting too much flow??

Kongor

Told ya it looks the same!
IMG_3543_zps513e9ac0.jpg

I would monitor it and maybe move it around, it looks like its on the bottom of your tank? Try moving it up a little and see what happens. I have a baby frogspawn that got destroyed by my CUC but he is recovering fine now that it is glued in place.

What kind of lights are you running? Might just be getting used to the lighting also.

oh wow, nice hammer you got there! My frog is sitting at the bottom, the reason is the base rock is too big, there are no space to move up some where......I wouldnt worry about my CUC too much is because I dont have tons of them, sand this one is really big, not a baby like you had, so I dont worry that much.
I am running 6 39W T5s, so means 200watts for a 65 gallon tank. with 3 white 3 actintics. I dont know if getting used or not, but its just strange suddenly it receding, the only thing I did was adding ph buffer. However, everything else is open and no proble,.
Told ya it looks the same!
IMG_3543_zps513e9ac0.jpg

I would monitor it and maybe move it around, it looks like its on the bottom of your tank? Try moving it up a little and see what happens. I have a baby frogspawn that got destroyed by my CUC but he is recovering fine now that it is glued in place.

What kind of lights are you running? Might just be getting used to the lighting also.

E5363422-4988-4208-A7F2-13EB7017A5F4-6697-0000048F180FA7CE_zps1f883d11.jpg

So now I did fresh water dip, and seems not working.
what are my options?? Should I siphon the dead tissue from the skeleton? or they will still have chance to grow back. Should I just cut that piece of rock off, so it get seperated with good part of frogspawn, cuz I dont know if they might will spread or not?

DaveK

Yes, it does look like that part is dead. You can try dipping the coral, and that may save what is left. It is possible to frag a coral like this, but you need a clean cut. Most people that do a lot of this use something like a tile saw. However, you can use any tool that can cut the tough coral skeleton. You need to work fast and carefully, and it's best to dip the coral after the cut.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
That coral is receding badly but all may not be lost yet... do as DaveK suggested.. dip it and see how it responds then if no improvement you can attempt an emergency fragging of it. Unfortunately "Wall" type Euphyllia are tougher to frag... well they are tougher to frag successfully especially in an emergency. If you have time you can make the coral frag itself but that takes months and is still a "maybe".

Also check your water parameters and make sure everything is really good. The last thing you want is a sick coral being also stressed by a water parameter that's off.

Add a good sized bag of carbon to the tank in a high-flow area YESTERDAY! Carbon is my first-aide for the tank.

I use an Iodine (Lugols is a brand name of it) dip. I take some tank water (out of the tank of course) and put about 5 drops per cup of water. Remove the coral from the tank but be gentle and slow about it. As you aggitate the coral it should slowly retract into the skeleton. Give it time to retract as much as possible so the coral isn't further damaged by it's tissue heavily inflated and dragging on it's own stone skeleton. Put the coral in this solution for about 10 minutes. Try to do this in a way that the water doesn't get too hot or too cold while you're doing it.Take the coral out, let it drip a few seconds them back in the tank. Discard the used water and observe. In some instances I've done this a few times a day for up to a week. If you see the tissue continuing to recede or if you see a "brown jelly" type (mucous looking material) forming on this coral frag it and frag it back in the "clean" meat section.

Unfortunately don't be surprised if this keeps spreading and possibly quickly. Euphyllia can do this from time to time and it's just how it goes. Hopefully a good dip (or 2 or 3) will help. Just make sure your tank parameters are dead on (not just Ok) and make sure you stay on your A game.

Good luck and keep us posted.

That coral is receding badly but all may not be lost yet... do as DaveK suggested.. dip it and see how it responds then if no improvement you can attempt an emergency fragging of it. Unfortunately "Wall" type Euphyllia are tougher to frag... well they are tougher to frag successfully especially in an emergency. If you have time you can make the coral frag itself but that takes months and is still a "maybe".

Also check your water parameters and make sure everything is really good. The last thing you want is a sick coral being also stressed by a water parameter that's off.

Add a good sized bag of carbon to the tank in a high-flow area YESTERDAY! Carbon is my first-aide for the tank.

I use an Iodine (Lugols is a brand name of it) dip. I take some tank water (out of the tank of course) and put about 5 drops per cup of water. Remove the coral from the tank but be gentle and slow about it. As you aggitate the coral it should slowly retract into the skeleton. Give it time to retract as much as possible so the coral isn't further damaged by it's tissue heavily inflated and dragging on it's own stone skeleton. Put the coral in this solution for about 10 minutes. Try to do this in a way that the water doesn't get too hot or too cold while you're doing it.Take the coral out, let it drip a few seconds them back in the tank. Discard the used water and observe. In some instances I've done this a few times a day for up to a week. If you see the tissue continuing to recede or if you see a "brown jelly" type (mucous looking material) forming on this coral frag it and frag it back in the "clean" meat section.

Unfortunately don't be surprised if this keeps spreading and possibly quickly. Euphyllia can do this from time to time and it's just how it goes. Hopefully a good dip (or 2 or 3) will help. Just make sure your tank parameters are dead on (not just Ok) and make sure you stay on your A game.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Oh man, it's all over, I siphone the dead tissue and dip as u said with coral dip and iodine. I thought it stop spreading but not, this morning it gone too far, so I had to cut it.
Please give me some idea if this is brown jelly disease or not, I will open another thread with new updated pic now. I want to move on this