why is cyano bad?

nunlef

From the beginning, I've known what cyano was, and that it is bad.

I just realized I have no idea WHY it's bad. Can someone explain it?

thanks

lcstorc

It is only bad in that it can/will cover your corals and deprive them of light.
It spreads very quickly. Generally an indication of poor water quality but in and of itself I don't think it is harmful.

nunlef

thanks, I actually like the bright red kind. The green and burgundy can go away.
While I was scooping away tonight, It dawned on me that I do actually think the red patches are pretty, and wondered why I can't keep it. Kind of like dandelions, if they were hard to grow they woudn't be called a weed.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Heather you want to "address" it fairly promptly. Once it takes a good foot-hold it can be a BEAR to get rid of. Like others have stated it can (and will) smother coral and take off like KUDZU in the blink of an eye. It's very "efficient" and once it starts it will get nutrients from many varied sources (light, nutrients in the sand-bed, suspended nutrients etc) and will need to be dealt with accordingly. Whatever you do try to NOT use chemical products as they tend to work on MORE than JUST the Cyano and also it's been theorized that if it's not knocked out 100% it becomes "resistant" to the chemical and is even HARDER to eradicate.

IMHO I'd say Cyano = :cursin: :rocket: :help1: :mad: :cry1: :verymad: very quickly leading to :banghead: :apint: :bmcflme:

and ultimately :drown: :drown: :drown: :drown:

nunlef

I've cut back on feeding and light. I think the fact that the tank does get direct morning light may be a factor.

Aside from heavier water changes I'm not sure what else to do. I do end up scooping out about a 1/4 cup every 4-5 days - and that's just what I can reach.

I don't do chemicals in this tank. probably never will unless I run into a calcium problem or something like that.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Heather do you notice it's more prominent in low/slow flow areas (corners, behind rock etc)?

Removing it daily (even a little bit) helps a lot.

What are you feeding? How often?

Maybe more frequent water changes as opposed to "heavier" may help.

nunlef

Heather do you notice it's more prominent in low/slow flow areas (corners, behind rock etc)?

Removing it daily (even a little bit) helps a lot.

What are you feeding? How often?

Maybe more frequent water changes as opposed to "heavier" may help.

not sure about flow, but the most turbulant area also has the second heaviest concentration.

I remove what i can, cuc doesn't seem to help, so i'[ts me and a rake.

well, I overfeed. I was doing one entire cube of frozen carnivore blend every other day. I've cut back to 1/2 cube every other day. I have a total of 2 fish - 4" total, and modest cuc

I thought about more frequent, but the ratio seems to favor heavier weekly changes. I'm working on a way to change more than 25%, but I haven't gotten approval from husband for a second brute can ;)

The fish room is being built now, but I have to share the space with some of "his" stuff, so I can't go too crazy :rolleyes: