White spot on top fin of clown fish under QT

jaydub

Just got 2 clown fish, and have them placed in a 9 gallon QT tank.

On one of the fish, there is a small white spot, the size of a grain of sand on the top fin. I'm sure this is a common question that comes up. I'm new to this I would hope to get some help to ID if this is something that needs attention.

click for image

Fish appear to eat very well, and appear to swim normally. When I first got the fish, there was a little bit of damage/discoloration to a small part of the scales on the body; the scales appeared darker in color, but has appeared to be well healed now.

The tank is cycled, and ammonia, nitrite, nitrate below detectable levels. Fish are fed mostly small pellets, and sometimes frozen mysis.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

SubRosa

Looks like lymphocystis. The bad news: it's incurable because it's caused by a virus. The worse news: every fish you expose to that fish will likely harbor the virus. The good news: it's the piscatorial equivalent of a cold sore. Most fish in the trade are probably already exposed when you get them. It rarely causes serious problems for a fish unless the lesions get in the way of eating or breathing. Just like in humans who carry the herpes virus, when an infected fish's immune system is suppressed, the virus expresses itself. If conditions improve it goes away on its own. It's also easy to remove, though perhaps not from a fish that small. I've cut the lesions off with scissors, and on larger fish even scraped them off of the fins with a fingernail. As long as conditions remain good, it should go away on its own.

jaydub

Then would it be fair to say that if there are no other symptoms, then the fish may benefit being placed in my main tank where the water quality is better and more stable?

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
How long have they been in QT? He looks pretty healthy otherwise but if you're QT'ing to make sure he is ich free then I think 8 or so weeks is what's recommended.

jaydub

He's been in QT for 3 weeks. I've been getting mixed opinions on how long to QT clown fish.

One issue I have is the QT tank is at the office (no space at home), and I can't tend to it as much; so the water quality is not as stable. So that's one factor I've considered to bias the QT period toward the shorter end of the scale.

lbiminiblue

He's been in QT for 3 weeks. I've been getting mixed opinions on how long to QT clown fish.

One issue I have is the QT tank is at the office (no space at home), and I can't tend to it as much; so the water quality is not as stable. So that's one factor I've considered to bias the QT period toward the shorter end of the scale.
well, I would QT him until the spot disappears for at least a week, ideally...treatment, however, may take longer. And lympho may make room for secondary infection in a fish, like if the fish is weakened by fighting the virus, diseases like ich and brooklynella may take the opportunity to establish themselves on the fish, so you need to provide a stress free tank and good diet.