White Ribbon Eel

Kovu

I have been reading up on these guys and wondered are they reef safe at all,I figure they will eat crustaceans but how big of a fish would they possibly go after? I dont want to get one of these if they pose a threat to my clarkii clowns that I already have. Thanks for any info!

Creekview

Get a snowflake. Easy to keep, have great personalities. Mine comes when I tap on the tank, and eats cocktail shrimp from my fingers. Companion fish need to be non aggressive, and too big to eat. Mine is now about a foot long, in a 33 long, by himself. They need lots of rock to hide in.

DaveK

A white ribbon eel is an extremely difficult fish to keep. I would recommend choosing something else. If you just have to try one, I would recommend a dedicated, large tank for it, that it well covered. You don't want it to go carpet surfing.

I would say it's reef safe in that it doesn't eat corals, but they might easily have you clean up crew for lunch.

Kovu

Yea I looked and had a snowflake a couple of years, but the one I had would go after anything that moved. So if I dont go for an eel is there anything that is peaceful but still has a fierce look too it?

Clint24

I had a blue & black ribbon eel for about 3 1/2 years in my tank. I ended up having to donate them when I had to tear down my tank a few years ago. At that time my tank was mature & running for almost 10 years. I never had problems with them eating anything in my system. I would feed them twice a week with tweezers. They are kinda hard to get to eat but once they do they ate great for me. :)
I would like to add, be very cautious of your rock work because they have to create a home in your aquarium & that usually consisted of burrowing under a rock, so make sure things are stable so they don't fall. They can get between 3&4 feet long so that's a good sized hole under a rock. Also they are great escape artists & love to swim through your overflows. One time when my black one was new, I couldn't find him for 3 days, thought he was a goner, ended up finding him in my sump. Another time he was "carpet surfing" as, Dave put it, (lol). My cat was actually playing with it like a piece of string, when I noticed, I picked him up bare handed, he was covered in cat hair, and dropped in back in the tank. That was the last time he tried to get out!!
With all that being said, I'm guessing that a white ribbon eel would be rather close to the blue & black ones. I've never had a white one. Good luck!!

CD