White Filter Pad

FallChinook

Hi Everyone,
I have a RSM130 and was wondering about the replacement white filter pads. Can you purchase less expensive polyfill from a craft store and use in its place?

TonyV

Yes Walmart sells it for less than $8 for a huge roll of it. The brand name is Morning Glory and I got the quilters Polyester batting which is neatly rolled and flat which makes it easy to cut into desired squares/rectangles. Just be sure to change it every few days. It really cleans up the debris floating in your tank.

DaveK

If you are going to use pollyfill from a craft store be sure to wash it off in tap water first. Often there is some residue on it, and you don't want that in the tank.

steveh

You might find it causes microbubbles or even worse. I haven't tried it but be careful to ensure it is not chemically treated in any way

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
FallChinook - I am sure you know this... but the new 130D's don't even ship with the white filter any longer, just the more course black one. I may be wrong, (sure steveh would know for sure) but I am thinking RSM is thinking it's not needed.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I have the older 130 but really liked the ability of the filter pad to remove a lot of fine particulate quickly. The black sponge, especially now that they cut a corner off, never could do that. The pads plug up after a couple days and need to be cleaned/replaced, but they did a great cleaning job, even if you only put one in once in a while. just my opinion, but the tanks now come with only the black sponge, with a corner cut off, as a "fix" to the otherwise neverending problem of the pad plugging, the water level in back dropping, and starved pumps blowing microbubbles.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I did pick one up when I added my sand & ran it for 2 hours & then have not used it again, but it did great to quickly clean the tank of small particles.

May use it again if I stir up the tank cleaning or moving things... :updown: