White Cotton Looking Substance on Coral

Nervoustime

I had to move one of the corals in my tank to another spot, and I noticed that there is this white cotton looking (size of a nickel) substance attached to the rock under the mushrooms. I don't know what it could be, and the coral does not look very healthy. To be more specific, it resembles the cocoon of a spider. Can anyone help me with some information as to what this could be? Should I remove this piece from the tank?

Thanks,

Reza

Nervoustime

Steve,
I don't have access to pictures at this time. What do you recommend? Should I remove it from the tank? If it is sponge, does it hurt the other species in the tank?

Thanks,

Reza

TDEVIL

sounds like a sponge, cant be positive w/o a pic though

does it look kinda like this one, doesnt have to be same color/shape, there are many different sponges out there and they are harmless filter feeders.

hood017.jpg

Jay

pmac90

Yeah, definately sounds like a sponge. also, look up tunicates and sea squirts ... I believe all very similiar. either way, they are harmless.
good luck with the coral though..... what is wrong with the mushroom?

Nervoustime

Thanks for the information guys. By touch, it feels like a white hard plastic substance. It's a solid piece, unlike the provided scan by TDevil which showes somes holes. So, I should not worry about it if it is a sponge?

pmac90

no worries if it's a sponge or tunicate. all they do is suck and chuck water filtering out there food. does it have at least one opening? kinda like a football with an end cut off? I'll try to get a macro shot of one of mine later tonight. I have, what seems like, a bagillion of them.

kyle1284

Nervoustime said:
Thanks for the information guys. By touch, it feels like a white hard plastic substance. It's a solid piece, unlike the provided scan by TDevil which showes somes holes. So, I should not worry about it if it is a sponge?

i too have that on a few pieces of my live rock... i attempted scraping them off for feer of them but the seem to be attached pretty damn well... good luck with finding out.... ill post some macro pics of mine later tonight... with our power combined we will figure out what these things are! lol:bump:

Nervoustime

Thanks pmac90. I am not sure about any openings. When I get home from work, I will take a closer look. Also, I will try to borrow a camera from work and take a picture and post it tonight. Thanks again.

pmac90

we didn't forget you Nervous......

I tried all night Friday to get a decent pic for you, so long i killed my camera battery. unfortunately i'm still in the land of point and shoot so most pics where a bright white spot... i'm not giving up though.

Nervoustime

Thanks pmac. I think that you are right about the sponge. With closer look, it appears that it has not spread to any other rock. I moved the piece to the corner of the tank, and I am keeping an eye on it. If it does not grow any larger, I would assume things are ok.

TDEVIL

Nervoustime said:
Thanks pmac. I think that you are right about the sponge. With closer look, it appears that it has not spread to any other rock. I moved the piece to the corner of the tank, and I am keeping an eye on it. If it does not grow any larger, I would assume things are ok.

depending on the age of your tank, you can/will find sponges everywere, they are a natural part of the reef ;)
from Leucilla sponges
faq_sponge.jpg

http://www.reefs.org/hhfaq/pages/main_pages/faq_rock3.htm
to encrusting sponges
80reef_stuff_009_Small_.jpg

and all of them in the middle. i wouldnt worry to much about it if it is a sponge

Jay

pmac90

Leucilla sponges looks like what i have a ton of ... i also have a few "cotton ball" looking ones.... good find TDEVIL!!