Which anemone is best for clownfish

nijunet

Hi,
I just picked up a mated pair of orange skunk clownfish and was wondering which anemone would be best for them. Any suggestions?

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Carpet, Ritteri, Sebae and Long tentacle Anemones are natural hosts but all very difficult to almost impossible to keep long term in captivity. How big is your tank ? What are you using for lighting and how much watts ? How long has your tank been established ? Of the four the only one that does ok is the Long Tentacle Anemone but even then you need an established tank with proper lighting to keep them any lenght of time.

Snelly40

Host Anemones: Sebae Anemone (Heteractis crispa); Carpet Anemone (Stichodactyla mertensii), but may adapt to other anemones in aquariums.
My uncle has a bubble tip anemone that his skunk lives in now. It might take some trial and error, however out of the two listed about i would go with the Sebae Anemone, they are alot smaller than the carpet as well as easier to care for and the look nice as well.. Good luck

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
The Sebae Anemone is one of the most difficult to keep Anemones and is commonly dyed or bleached...I would avoid this Anemone as well as the Carpet and Ritteri these Anemones come from shallow water and the amount of light they're usually exposed to is difficult to almost impossible to duplicate. I would stick to the LTA or try a BTA which is the hardiest of all hosting Anemones.

Kensn

It is always a hit and miss with hosting...... There are no guarantees... As stated above their natural hosts will promote a better chance given you have the proper conditions for them. I would search the web for pictures and info on what types people have had success with...

Snelly40

exactly, thats why i would shoot for the bubble tip, my unle's skunk love it and they are not too expensive and they are quite hardy

nijunet

Thanks so much for everyone's help. I will do some more research before I buy. They actually are hanging out with my bubble tip coral right now. Do you think I even need an anemone?

Frankie

RS STAFF
Give them a nice frogspawn or hammer coral! JK. I have to agree with Cheeks, go for the LTA. Good luck!

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
I also agree with cheeks. Most caprets have no business being in most reef tanks==>dead==> 1 year. To be successful with carpets you need to know what you are doing or have a really good "green thumb". Carpets usaully need massive light, proper water flow and need to be fed correctly.