When should I do my first water change?

My tank is about 25 days. My cycle ended about 7 days ago. I have. Clownfish, 3 turbo snails, and 5 hermit crabs. When should I perform first water change?

Sent while in motion via HTC Vivid

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Have you don't any water changes yet since the tank cycled to export the nitrates?

I would say... today (or very soon) & then once weekly 10-15%

Yes sounds confusing....my tank has cycled already. I never saw the spike in ammonia, but that's cause I skipped almost 10 days between testing. I'm assuming ammonia was high then. I took water to LFS and they told me water is good to go. So far all livestock still alive and its been a week. I was unaware that I was supposed to do a water change before adding livestock however!!!!!! I will perform tonight!

Thanks bigal. A reply in your second link states that fully cured live rock can cycle the tank before four weeks. All my rock from the lfs was cured live rock.

Let's say my lfs is lying and my tank is not cycled yet. What would be the consequences other than dead livestock?
Thanks again!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Really it's pretty simple to see if your tank is cycled.

A) Toss a fresh, raw Deli Shrimp into the tank (put it into a mesh bag if you wish)
B) Take Ammonia and Nitrite readings before the shrimp and a few times after the shrimp over a couple of days.

If the test reveal little to no Ammonia spike then the tank is ready to handle bio-load. In reality what you're wanting to do is colonize your rock and sand with enough bacteria to handle the fish waste, the left over food and possibly even a dead organism (things die in places you can't reach) without causing Ammonia and Nitrite to spike to dangerous levels.

Other than dead organisms?
That's pretty much THE result we're talking about.

Our tanks are like a house... spend the time and build a solid and square foundation and your odds of long-term success go up GREATLY! Rush it and your odds of future problems and possible total failure go through the roof.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
You should start your first water change 7 days after you start the tank.

Huh? I'd LOVE to know where in the world that bit of information comes from because it's totally WRONG! That's like saying, "A tank of gas will cost you $30 in your car". Does your car have a 5g tank or a 30g fuel tank? Are you buying regular fuel or PREMIUM!

Really I can't think of anything in a Salt Water tank that has a rule/suggestion nearly as specific (or bogus) as that. With all due respect that's completely pulling one out of the air.

Huh? I'd LOVE to know where in the world that bit of information comes from because it's totally WRONG! That's like saying, "A tank of gas will cost you $30 in your car". Does your car have a 5g tank or a 30g fuel tank? Are you buying regular fuel or PREMIUM!

Really I can't think of anything in a Salt Water tank that has a rule/suggestion nearly as specific (or bogus) as that. With all due respect that's completely pulling one out of the air.

That bit on information comes from the "Red Sea Max 250" User Manual ..... "Big Al" page 34

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 38

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
That bit on information comes from the "Red Sea Max 250" User Manual ..... "Big Al" page 34

I see it does. Well by all means I think you should follow that to a "T" but that guideline takes nothing into account for what the test results from the first 7 days show. I've never read that manual but I also think it is way to specific in regards to the cycle time table.

To clear things up.... you can do water changes any time after the first day but they are pointless and a waste unless you're trying to "Save" something in the tank by trying to soften the cycle.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
just my opinion & I reserve the right to be wrong :) :p or to continue to learn & change my mind :)

but seems to me the Red Sea table is saying this to take into account "all states of LR"

at one time, I thought wc during cycling was not needed & even possible bad, now I think... it's related to the state of your LR

Here a good :read: How to Cure Live Rock

and a partial extract... but read the whole post/link

Are Water Changes Needed?

Basically the curing process is now set. It is just a matter of time until the rock is fully cured. Depending upon the amount of matter on the rock and the water flow and skimmer you have, the process will take about 2 to 4 weeks. You can also reduce the nutrient levels in the curing water and lessen the curing time by having more water flow and a bigger, more effecient skimmer and by changing a portion of the water in the tank or curing container. A schedule of changing 25%-50% of the water every week is usually best, but you can alter this according to your results as you cure the rock. Many folks do minimal water changes and still cure their rock rapidly, but this can only be accomplished if you have other means of waste removal such as a really good skimmer. The amount and frequency of water changes are something that will be different for every tank and system so you must determine if and when you will need to do water charges, some water changing is probably needed but you don't need to be excessive. Remember to use pure water when mixing your salt water for the water changes otherwise you are just adding more nutrients to the system and the water change is useless. During the curing process you will also need to add purified freshwater to keep up with any evaporation to keep a constant salinity level in the tank or curing container water, your water's specific gravity should be about 1.025.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
another good :read: http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...something-cycling-breaking-new-reef-tank.html

related: partial extract - but read the whole post/link - all related to the state of your LR - which is hard to define... most LFS call their LR cured, as is sells for more...

4. Now sit back and test until NH3 and NH2 are at 0.0 and you see NO3 levels steadily rising. All this takes anywhere from 1 week to a couple months. It depends on the environment provided. If all the live rock was fresh/raw it will take some time, up to many months with heavy skimming, heavy flow, good air circulating and many water changes along the way to prevent unwanted things from overgrowing(cyano, sulfur pocket ect..) If not enough food was provided you end up getting a spike every time you add the smallest

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
OK. As much as I hate to I gotta agree with Al. ;)

Seriously dude all ya gotta do is listen to Al. He's so right on. Just sayin.

I'm editing this since I saw Glenn's post. These guys will lead ya so right on. +10^^^^^^^^

Anyway ya cut it. Enjoy the ride. Ur paying for it. :beer:

........wet floors add character.