What's wrong with my Ric??

brikeibur

So I noticed yesterday that my ric wasn't as fluffed up as usual, but I figured it was because one of my pesky hermits had walked across it, as they so frequently do... :mad:

Today though, it is still shriveled and has 'something' coming out of it or connected to it, or something. I'm not really sure what's going on. So, my question is:

What is that and what do I need / can I do about it??!!

Thanks...all advice and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

IMG_1811.jpg

IMG_1794.jpg

IMG_1805.jpg

brikeibur

Man, I could only pray that the only thing wrong with this little bugger is that he is taking a @%#$!!!

:lol:

I sure do love the little guy!

Thanks Blake.....I sure hope you're right, as he has been doing great lately, until yesterday afternoon anyways.....

brikeibur

Update:

As of last night that 'thing' hanging off it, was coming 'unattached' from the ric. It eventually blew off of it (was eventually only connected by a thin thread almost) when the current hit it.

So now, whatever it is is no longer attached to the ric, but this morning it was still pretty shriveled. I will let you know what it looks like later today after the lights have been on for a bit.

Thanks.

jgking21

Good Luck with it! Mine stay pretty shriveled until the lights come on, so hopefully that is all it needs now. Definetly a pretty specimen!

Jess

Hoping the little guy pulls through. :bluenod: I got my very first Rics about a month ago from a guy off Craigslist and I am IN LOVE!

brikeibur

Thanks JG and Jess....

I'm sure hoping all is well.

I'll know if it is doing better in about 30 mins!!! C'mon 5:00!!!

brikeibur

Well, my ric is still a little shriveled, but it is looking a little better. I will keep you guys posted and let you know how things turnout.

Thanks for the input guys!

jgking21

Can you post some more pics? I was looking back at the pics and it does look like it may be splitting. But mine usually don't shrivel up when they split. Also, have you check the water parameters lately?

brikeibur

JG,

I will snap some more pics this afternoon for you. As of last night it was looking a little better, but it was still a little shriveled, just not as much as in the above pics.

Whatever that thing was that was protruding out, eventually detached from the ric.

I checked my water conditions yesterday because I also seem to be having some issues with a colt cauliflower frag I had. Those things ususally flourish in my tank, but this one is about dead. The parameters all came out perfectly. We checked ammonia, nitrates, ph, salinity and I even made sure the temperature was ok. All seemed to be perfect except for ammonia, it was at .25, so we are doing a water change this afternoon after work. That is due to the fact that we have too many fish in our tank though.

We bought a 90g tank for the LR and live sand, to be used in our 76g we are upgrading to, but he had two fish in it, so we are trying to keep them in our 24g with our others just until we can transfer them over, so we realize we are going to have to do frequent water changes and cleanings to make sure they stay healthy until then.

Would low levels of ammonia do that to the ric??

Sorry for the long post, just trying to be thorough....

Thanks!!

BLAKEJOHN

I doubt the low level of ammonia would cause any harm in the short term. If it was a long term issue with the ammonia I would say yes then.

brikeibur

So here's an updated pic of my ric:

IMG_1962.jpg

IMG_1961.jpg

It is a little fuller, I think it is getting better each day!! :D

Thanks All!!