Whats a good anemone for a first one?

Cantra

So my aquarium is new but I want to know what would be best so that I can start researching it and finding out what it needs. My aquarium is 20 gallons so I'm not sure if there is any anemones that would fit in it.

jjohnson3

I would say in a tank of 20 gallons you could get a BTA. This is given that you could sustain optimal water quality and have a t5 lighting unit or better. Hope this helps. The bubble tip anemone(BTA) is a good choice for a beginner wanting an anemone.

reefmasta

ive got bubble tips, long tentical, condys and rockflowers. i do absolutlly nothing to them in my 155G and its got PC lighting with 4.5 watts per gallon, 10K bulbs. in my expereince their very easy i have had a couple anemones in my small 24G so a 20G you could do a small guy. just make sure you have proper lighting and keep your Water like anyother reef tank. just a suggestion.

lcstorc

Absolutely not a carpet.
Once the tank is well established and if you have the lighting and parameters then you could go with a BTA.
Keep in mind that they do move and they do grow and/or split so be prepared.
Definitely wait until you see if you can keep the parameters stable for an extended period of time since that size tank a problem can become very big very quickly.

ReefLady

Staff member
Absolutely not a carpet.
Once the tank is well established and if you have the lighting and parameters then you could go with a BTA.
Definitely wait until you see if you can keep the parameters stable for an extended period of time since that size tank a problem can become very big very quickly.

Absolutely agree with all of this. I'm not sure tank size has a lot to do with the ability to keep an anemone, but rather the lighting, tank parameters, and ability to keep it far enough away from competing organisms.

RockBox

Absolutely not a carpet.

Mini-carpets = Stichodactyla tapetum, are a miniature species of carpet anemone that mimics ricordea and are very popular with nano tanks. They do pack a potent sting though.

lcstorc

My reference to size and splitting was about a BTA.
I strongly advise against a Haddoni, Gigantea, or Mertensii carpet for any newer tank and/or aquarist.
These mini-carpets appear to be more like rics since they can be fragged etc where as the others cannot

RockBox

My reference to size and splitting was about a BTA.
I strongly advise against a Haddoni, Gigantea, or Mertensii carpet for any newer tank and/or aquarist.
These mini-carpets appear to be more like rics since they can be fragged etc where as the others cannot

I just wanted to make it clear that I would never recommend a regular carpet for a tank that size. In fact I don't recommend BTAs unless you are placing an emphasis on them with a pair of clowns. You could throw some xenia, shrooms, gsps, etc... in there and not have to worry too much about the corals.

new reefer 03

ive got bubble tips, long tentical, condys and rockflowers. i do absolutlly nothing to them in my 155G and its got PC lighting with 4.5 watts per gallon, 10K bulbs. in my expereince their very easy i have had a couple anemones in my small 24G so a 20G you could do a small guy. just make sure you have proper lighting and keep your Water like anyother reef tank. just a suggestion.

dont all nems require atleast T5 lighting?? with an exception of a few, but none that you listed.

im not to talk, but i learned from my tradgedy.