What to do with dead snails?

modulok

I have a dead Nerite (found him on the floor behind tank) and a Mexican Turbo Snail. I've watched and I don't see anything eating either like I was hoping.

Should I remove them and let they dry out and rot so I can use the empty shells? Or just let leave them in the tank.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
I leave mine in. For no reason other than they're too stinking hard to get out.

........... we cut living things into pieces. sheez

modulok

The Turbo stinks to the high heaven. I think my water even smells like him. I put him in my sump with my larger Thin Striped Hermit and so far he hasn't consumed the meat inside the shell.

seafansar

I take them out of the tank if I find them in time. I don't like them rotting in the tank. I throw them outside. They stink horribly, but after a while the ants outside do their job and then if you want to put the clean shell back in your tank you can.

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Snails have been known to survive out of water for Days, if their shell/cap isnt broken

modulok

Yeah, I found 3 more Nerites in my cabinet. Tossed all back into the tank and now I have some zombie Nerites.

My large hermit in the sump didn't do much to the dead Turbo, so I picked out the meat that he pulled from the shell, and the shell too. The shell was outside for a week or two, but still stinks very bad. Would soaking in vinegar get rid of the stench?