What the Heck is it ???

Seaco

My brother found this in his tank today, any ideas what it is, it's about half an inch long?

STA74086.jpg

STA74085.jpg

STA74084.jpg

STA74083.jpg

STA74081.jpg

BobBursek

Re: What the Hell is it ???

I am no expert on this so take it lightly, but I think it looks like a Pod of some type, as from what I have read on the forums a good thing, but, never seen one about a 1/2", maybe a type of shrimp?

lcstorc

I'm not thinking pod.
More like nudibrach but don't bet the farm on that either. Can you get pics from other angles? More detail would be very useful. This one has me intrugued.

seafansar

Looks like a feather duster/tube worm out of it's tube.
Saballastarte%20indica%20SIP%20(1)LG.JPG

I'd handle it very carefully and put it back in the tank.

Seaco

Thanks for all the quick replies seems it could be a coco/tube worm maybe???

I'm not thinking pod.
More like nudibrach but don't bet the farm on that either. Can you get pics from other angles? More detail would be very useful. This one has me intrugued.

Hi Lynne
What type of details do you need and what angles in the pics do you want?

Lee

Seaco

I have just had a phonecall from my brother and it seems that it's dead so we will never know for sure, sad really!

How do you know for sure that it's dead? Some nudi's (Funny Punn) may seem like that but they act like they've had a Narcoloptic episode. Just keep him in a container by itself for 24 hours and see if he moves any. If he does then chances are he fell asleep.

GoodLuck.

sambrinar

It looks to me like a fan worm as well, but that is also a guess.. Where is Boomer??

tatuvaaj

It is a fan worm. If the conditions are good, they are able to construct a new tube quite fast. Unfortunately, without the protective tube they are also very tempting target for many fishes.

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Boomer was stream fishing on the shores of Lake Superior :)

Sara has it correct, it is a Serpulid tube worm that has left its tube. Meaning, one of the calcareous tube worms, like a Christmas Tree worm or similar. It will never survive, especially being a Serpulid.

serpulidae2.jpg

vermicularis.jpg

Jess

This is VERY fascinating to see it out of it's tube. Now I know what my Coco Worm really looks like.. I've always wondered.

Cool! However sad that it died :(

Blurp

Good to have such ID experts around, I would have voted for a nudi as well, though the "legs" should have made me clear that it had to be some kind of animal with sections=>worm.

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Heinz

Holothuroidea are not segmented and worms are, just like the one in the pic. Cukes also do not have parapods as the one in pic or have split dual head crowns.