What species is my clown?

InLimbo87

For the longest time, I've thought my clown was a true perc, but now someone is questioning that on another forum and says it looks more like a false perc. What do you guys think?

Nov30073.jpg

Witfull

Deb, im more inclined to this species variation,,,,but im not an ichtheologist.

how many color variants are there within Homo sapien?

dobejazz

Deb, im more inclined to this species variation,,,,but im not an ichtheologist.

how many color variants are there within Homo sapien?

Not trying to be difficult but I have what I've thought to be a true perc that looks like the fish pictured above - I also have a pair of what I thought were ocellaris that are bright orange with thinner black lines

Witfull

Kelli, ive known you to long to pull that,,,you are high maintanence...lol

ive seen it go either way, vendor mis ID, breeder miss ID...the 2 are so close and color variants from inbreeding/ cross breeds.....no one can really tell....

ITS A NEMO~

dobejazz

Kelli, ive known you to long to pull that,,,you are high maintanence...lol

ive seen it go either way, vendor mis ID, breeder miss ID...the 2 are so close and color variants from inbreeding/ cross breeds.....no one can really tell....

ITS A NEMO~

LOL who me :angel3: :dunno:

mps9506

I thought the ocellaris stayed orange and the percs got darker like the fish pictured above Wit

Color is not a great way to ID fish because of variation.

A. percula: Dorsal spines (total): 9 - 10; Dorsal soft rays (total): 14 - 17; Anal spines: 2; Anal soft rays: 11 – 13. Overall orange with three black-bordered vertical white bands. The fins also orange with black edges. Dorsal count of 9 spines (Ref. 48636).
http://www.fishbase.org/Photos/ThumbnailsSummary.php?ID=9209

A. ocellaris: Dorsal spines (total): 10 - 11; Dorsal soft rays (total): 13 - 17; Anal spines: 2; Anal soft rays: 11 – 13. Easily identified by the orange color and three white bands, the middle one widening forward to the head centrally (Ref. 48636). Caudal fin rounded.
http://www.fishbase.org/Photos/ThumbnailsSummary.php?ID=6509

Your's appears to be A. ocellaris to me, but I'm not the clownfish expert...

rmlevasseur

Nah, I vote perc all the way. I have never seen an ocellaris that dark. Also look at the fatter head, bigger eyes, and thick black striping on the caudal.

InLimbo87

It seems that general consensus is going with ocellaris, and the more and more I've been looking at pics of both, I think I may have been wrong all along. It really was always that dark coloration that led me to believe that it was a true perc, but the more I'm looking at body/fin shapes, etc it does seem to look more like an ocellaris. I'm really trying to figure it out as I'm looking to possibly pair her with another one and want to get the same species.

burning2nd

Picture3003617.jpg

"count the fin's on top" i heard.. but anyway.

i think in your picture its just the lighting... cause i know ive got pics that makes mine look just like yours

i noticed a color change (he got darker) after hosting,

dobejazz

This is Piggy one of my False Percs

a_Feb_O8_tanks_023.jpg

And this is Perky - He was sold as a True Perc and looks to me the same as the original posters clown

a_Feb_O8_tanks_049.jpg