What salt?

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
After almost 2.5 years of having my RSM250 up and running, I am finally purchasing an RO/DI system and will be making my own salt water. For the last 2.5 years I have been lugging RO/DO water and saltwater from my LFS and am finally tired of it. Only took me 2.5 years to figure out what a pain in the butt this is!

So the saltwater I have been purchasing from my LFS is Instant Ocean, most likely because it is the cheapest. Now comes my dilemma, what salt should I start using?

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

sk8rdn

Has been struck by the ban stick
Any brand you feel like. Just don't do 50% water change on your first day.

I'd stay with IO if it works, or maybe IORC...

....Salt Changes Everything....

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I am currently having to add lime to my top off water to keep Ca levels up, so I am leaning towards the IO Reef Crystals since it has higher Ca than IO.

sk8rdn

I am currently having to add lime to my top off water to keep Ca levels up, so I am leaning towards the IO Reef Crystals since it has higher Ca than IO.

If calcium is the only thing that is dropping, you could consider just dosing that. I'm not sure what the cost trade off would be for a bottle of calcium additive would be as opposed to buying a more expensive salt...

Then again, I don't usually advocate the habit of dosing anything into the system unless absolutely necessary...

Just something to consider...

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Thanks Bill. I also don't dose unless it is needed and the only thing I add is lime to my make up water. I've been running for 2.5 years and only recently discovered the need to add Ca as it was being depleted between water changes. I was dosing it manually which was a pain to keep up with, that's why I opted to start adding lime to the top off water, easier and once I determined the right amount it was simple to do and keeps my Ca up.

It's basically $10.00 more for 200 gallons of IORC compared to regular IO and that would last me about 10 months doing 10 gallon water changes twice a month. In that respect it's not a great deal of money and it may reduce my need for the additional lime added to my top off.

sk8rdn

Thanks Bill. I also don't dose unless it is needed and the only thing I add is lime to my make up water. I've been running for 2.5 years and only recently discovered the need to add Ca as it was being depleted between water changes. I was dosing it manually which was a pain to keep up with, that's why I opted to start adding lime to the top off water, easier and once I determined the right amount it was simple to do and keeps my Ca up.

It's basically $10.00 more for 200 gallons of IORC compared to regular IO and that would last me about 10 months doing 10 gallon water changes twice a month. In that respect it's not a great deal of money and it may reduce my need for the additional lime added to my top off.

Plus, I'm willing to be an equivalent amount of a calcium additive would be more than $10 for a 10 month supply :D

Good job on the no-dose policy... I'm glad to hear that :)

SaltyDave

Greg,
I'm a newbie here but, you might want to check out DD H2Ocean Magnesium Pro Salt.

I recently bought a water change package at Marine Depot and this salt was in the package. I checked out the reviews (link below) and it sounds like good stuff.
Apparently it is very popular in the UK.

D-D H2Ocean Magnesium Pro PLUS Salt Mix

David

ErnestoC

I use IO Reef Crystals and I love it! It clears ver fast and my water levels are great... my corals like it! :)

FCatCH76

Oceanic is another high calcium high alkalinity salt. I tried the IO and IORC and found a huge amount of residue left behind in my mixing tank. With Oceanic I get no residue. Also, my cal and alk was out of whack while using the IORC...who knows.

I use the BRS two part dosing for cal and alk and have been able to keep my water changes to monthly or bi-monthly.

steved13

PREMIUM
I've been using the ESV B-Ionic system. It mixes very quickly, clear and ready to go. It costs a little more but the convenience of quick mixing is well worth it for me.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Thanks everyone! I appreciate the feedback, now I'll have to do some more research.

yvr

Loyalty to salt brands is always a contentious issue. But since we are on the topic, I I have always been happy with Tropic Marin Salt. I'm using the original blend in my FOWLR and Tropic Marin Bio Actif on my 90 gallon mixedLPS/SPS tank.