What LED's?

danewell

Ok so I am about to get some income from some of my investments and I am looking to upgrade my lights. I am thinking Apollo Reef LED SolarBlast Ultra-A. What are your guys thoughts and any recomendations of others.

Thanks

Just tried looking up the fixture. It looks nice but i wouldnt go with it for 2 reasons. 1, it does not look like it has a cooling fan in there, and 2, i cant find anywhere where it says its 1watt or 3 watt LEDs. It also looks very simply for its price of $360. I have always wanted this fixture AquaIllumination 12” Sol Super Blue Sol Blue 1xModule LED Light System w/ Controller It has had great reviews and it has so much more for its money with options. This is just my opinion though. See what others think as well. Best of luck.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
What tank is this for?
What coral do you have and plan to keep in this tank?
Are you wanting a "fixture only" or are you looking for a DIY system?

You're in luck in that the light you mention is available through one of our Sponsors. ReefLEDLights carries that unit so you may want to contact them directly. Mention you're an RS member and they "might" have an RS discount for you as a member.

Apollo Reef LED SolarBlast Ultra-A available at ReefLEDLights

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Just tried looking up the fixture. It looks nice but i wouldnt go with it for 2 reasons. 1, it does not look like it has a cooling fan in there, and 2, i cant find anywhere where it says its 1watt or 3 watt LEDs. It also looks very simply for its price of $360. I have always wanted this fixture AquaIllumination 12” Sol Super Blue Sol Blue 1xModule LED Light System w/ Controller It has had great reviews and it has so much more for its money with options. This is just my opinion though. See what others think as well. Best of luck.

Apollo Reef LED SolarBlast Ultra-A
Features:

55 3 watt BridgeLux LEDs

Just 16″ long, 8 1/2″ wide and 2 1/2″ thick!

Utilizing the latest Bridgelux Power Chip LED’s.

Three power cords and three switches for independent control of blue and white LEDs and Moonlights!

Equivalent to a 250 Watt MH

Blue and Cool White on separate circuits

Assembled and serviced in the USA

TylerHaworth

No personal experience with these, but a few things stood out to me:

1) Most (all?) of the top LED lights use CREE diodes, this fixture uses Bridgelux - Not necessarily a bad thing, just caught my eye.

2) Not controllable other than off/on.

3) Never heard of them.

4) Priced just barely below the highly regarded and proven AquaIllumination Sol

5) No optics

danewell

It's for a 110, (48 wide x 18 deep x 36 tall). I am wanting to keep soft corals, polyps, and maybe some sps and lps. With the height of the tank I know I am going to need something with some serious light penetration, and I saw the par readings for these on youtube.

PIMPALA

36" deep? you need some awesome LEDs with sharp optics. like 60-80 degrees. and you are going to need 4 or 5 fixtures, but 6 would be ideal. been there, done that.

ReefLEDLights

RS Sponsor
It's for a 110, (48 wide x 18 deep x 36 tall). I am wanting to keep soft corals, polyps, and maybe some sps and lps. With the height of the tank I know I am going to need something with some serious light penetration, and I saw the par readings for these on youtube.

If it was me I would definitely look into DIY instead of prebuilt since the cost of getting what's needed is going to be expensive.

Now there are two ways to look at penetration.

1. (just pretend numbers) you have five LEDs, you put very narrow optics on them and they give you the power/punch to get to the bottom of the tank, the negative is that you can get spotlighting with this and shadowing.

2. you can also use ten LEDs with wider optics and then the light will spread and bounce off the glass to get the same amount of light to the bottom of the tank.

to get an idea of what to build consider the phoenix 45 or 55 kits on 2x 18" heatsinks. You can model your own build after the design of the phoenix and just edit out the options you are trying to save money on. etc.

PIMPALA

I've seen a lot of these lately and the best price I could find was here Aquarium Coral Reef Tank black Blue LED Grow Light 120W | eBay for $165.99. I thought the quality on these looked better and they're dimmable CREE LED Saltwater Coral Reef Aquarium Lights, Dimmable | eBay for $269.95. Either way I think you'll need at least 2 or 3, I was considering getting 6 of the latter for a 60" x 24" tank.

the first ones are very "meh" in person. i wouldnt use them.

the second ones are good lights. ive used them on more than one tank. for that deep of a tank, you would need 4 minimum... 5 would be ideal, but i'd use 6 units.