What is wrong with my frag?

LSUFireGal

So my zoa frag has this weird bright orange dust looking stuff on it. It doesn't seem to blow off, it is also on the rock. Any ideas? It seems quite unhappy. Maybe caused by low alk?

A: 0
pH: 8.2
Alk: 144 i know, low. Trying to fix it.
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 5
Phos: <.25
Ca: 480 (test is questionable, I get conflicting readings when I repeat test, buying replacement tomorrow)

Had my numbers (except for phosphates and calcium) double checked by LFS today.

I have lugol's solution if I need to dip it, but it is glued to the same rock as a small chalice frag, can I dip that too?

LSUFireGal

Not the best, but better than no pics:

85BC0256-5D25-4882-96EE-E5BEF4BDB94E-3431-000003CA1F052FEB.jpg

7F5BB9F7-51A4-4B0D-9FA9-E892FF20D75D-3431-000003CA1651E1E2.jpg

LSUFireGal

There is another Zoa frag in the tank that seems to be fine. Mushrooms are fine as are the GSP and a tiny polyp of galaxy coral that somehow showed up on a rock after the colony died off when my tank broke and everything got disturbed when I moved it to the new tank. The galaxy is over 18 inches from any other coral.

Tank did not go through a cycle when moved everything and it has been running nicely for months, before that, 5 yrs. the frag has been in the tank for 3 weeks and this orange dust showed up about 4 says ago.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
nothing came to mind... so I did some searching... but didn't come up with anything... orange on rocks that won't blow off... and on the zoas... is a new one for me

maybe some other member will have some ideas....

LSUFireGal

Thanks. I think I will dip it tomorrow so I will take some better pictures then. It looks like chalk dust, but like I said it won't blow off.

ksicard

Yeah this one is new to me as well, bare in mind that zoas can sometimes be finicky. It may just be settling in and tricking you with an un happy appearance. But a dip won't hurt anything, I'd do a 15-20% WC and a dip just to make sure these orange dust aren't pests.