What is This (safe)

DSCF2334_zps9fdb823e.jpg
[/IMG]He guys this has been growing out of my rock its huge it spreads from one side 2 another about 4" to 5" its started out as a speck. So what is it?:surrender:

i don't think its a sponge its smooth and is fleshy. and i know what sponge looks like i have a cool lime green one that's growing next 2 my bta

vsindorf

I think it's actually a colonial or mat tunicate...hard to tell exactly, they tend to look a lot like sponges, but smoother and somehow just...different. Either way, sponges and tunicates are both filter feeders and are good for water quality...tunicates will even sexually reproduce - a nice live food for other inhabitants. The issue with sponges is if they are exposed to air during water changes, etc. they might die and mess with tank chemistry. Tunicates are common tidepool species, though and are therefore tolerant of air exposure/drying.

the only potential issue with a colonial tunicate is it could keep growing and take up too much open space...could even potentially overgrow corals if it gets out of hand...keep an eye on it.

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
That looks cool, if you dont like it, send it to me...zip it up in a ziplock and mail it to me, i'll send ya postage LOL

Oxylebius

I have to agree w/vsindorf - it can possibly be a colonial tunicate. But, sponges can have uniform, spongy surfaces w/ distinctive large pores

I believe one fast way to tell the difference between sponges and tunicates, is that tunicates can close their siphons fast, they can respond to touch. Sponges either can't close their siphons or close them very slowly (depending on the species).

Poke it and see what happens. ;)