What is the best dslr camera for me to take underwater?

jhonmartinvish

I want to take a dslr camera in a housing underwater with me when I scuba dive. I hear that some cameras are better for underwater use. If this is true, I'd like to know which camera will be the best. I want to take professional-looking photos while not really paying too much for a camera(under $1000). Thanks!

steved13

PREMIUM
Welcome to Reef Sanctuary!!

I have been diving in decades, so I can't really help with your question. My last dive camera used film :D

wscttwolfe

hey man, welcome to RS!

IMO, unless you know how to operate a DSLR and take advantage of all the bells and whistles, you should get an entry level DSLR i.e. Nikon D3000 (Nikon D3100 Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm NIKKOR VR Lens 25472). Buying a more expensive camera and lens will not give you better images unless you know how to work it.

The stock lens in the kit above is a good all around lens.

You are also going to need a good underwater camera housing that fits whatever model you chose.

Your best increase in quality will come from the flash(s) you chose. The farther you go down, the less color penetrates (except blue). Flashes are needed to bring color back to the reef