What is it?

joshsgrl

I have something in my coral that is very bizzare. Looks like spider web? And a critter that is living in something that looks alot like a hole with a trap door. It spits out this web and pulls it in. Kinda like its fishing for food in the water. What is it?:dunno:

joshsgrl

I also have started to see very small white or clear pineapple shaped things on my rock. Any suggestions or comments as to what this is? They have a round base with little prickly tops. Just like a pineapple. They seem to be spreading

vdituri

Pineapple sponges. Don't know the technical name, but not a problem.
Good guys. Population will grown and decline over time.

The other fishing worm is harmless too. As stated his webs can sometimes irritate corals, but they eat leftover fish food and don't eat corals or fish so they are good guys.

ReefLady

Staff member
???????????????????????????????????

Did you look at the info/links posted to see if that is what is in your tank? If it's not, could you describe it better, or post pics?

joshsgrl

Vermetid. ... I think....lots of info, but I watched video of one in action. Looks like what I have. Any sugestions? Leave it alone, remove it, or what. I dont think it is hurting anything, just ugly webs.

ReefLady

Staff member
Up to you. They are typically harmless, but may "bug" adjacent corals if they continuously cast their webs onto them.