What happened to my Butterfly fish?

I wake up this morning, realize the back tail of one of my butterfly is seems damaged or infected? i did my water change last week.
My Tank is Red sea max 250. 65Gallon, only two paired butterfly and other corals such as frogspawn, torch, acan, mushroom, brain coral etc. I didnt do a water test yet, but Im going to do a water change today tho.

should I worry about this? Is this really serious problem? Could this be my water or he did it himself?
BCB87EE7-9197-4A1F-9772-70E6C3865D96-15554-00001B6B04CA9E49.jpg

D240B2D1-E8B7-4A7A-806E-0A6AAFD5B085-15554-00001B6B014DC2EB.jpg

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
You can remove them and treat. Not sure on diagnosis but what do you feed them? Fats and vitamin supplements?

I had them in my tank for 1 month, I feed them with brine shrimp twice a day. What kind of treat do I need? the name etc?
thank you man
You can remove them and treat. Not sure on diagnosis but what do you feed them? Fats and vitamin supplements?

I am going to put the butterfly fish into the hospitality tank for a week, does it matter with the size of the tank or a small 5 gallon tank should be ok for this fish in a week treatment.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I would keep an eye on it to see what it does. If it needs to be treated we can walk you through that but he may be able RO heal on his own.

Nutrition is huge and brine shrimp is usually the first thing that people buy but it might be one of the worst to feed. If I were you, I'd get some selcon and some vitamins (vitachem, Zoe) and soak the food in them. For food, mysis (mysid) are good, krill and other meatier food work too but you need to find what your fish eat. Some are picky but brine shrimp has low nutrition.

I also like new life spectrum pellets, they are a great staple.

I think if you up the nutrition, and soak in fats/vitamins the fish has a good chance of fighting it. If it gets worse than a hospital tank is the right thing. Once the fungus/bacteria is ID'd then a treatment plan can be suggested.

lbiminiblue

I am going to put the butterfly fish into the hospitality tank for a week, does it matter with the size of the tank or a small 5 gallon tank should be ok for this fish in a week treatment.

A 5 gallon tank SHOULD be ok, don't worry, the tail should be fairly easy to treat...it may be lympho, but since he doesn't have white clumps, i'm skeptic about that...in any case, don't panic, and maintain a good diet for your fish, like good pellets (pretty much any brand will do) Unfortunately, if your fish has lost appetite, there usually isn't much you can do, except hope to eliminate the disease before the starvation kills him. Actually, I think most disease cases can be handled fairly easily if you catch it early enough. keep us posted.

Yes it is a yellow long nose butterfly, And I didnt know brine shrimp is not really good food. I was told that brine shrimp is very good from my Lfs. I even buy few packs of them every time..
I ve seen ppl using the vitamins, but I never really know if they are good or bad etc.
If you could guild me what kind of food is best for my fish and corals, Its gonna be great! I ve been feeding brine and mysis shrimp forever, I thought they are good because of the flake food is really bad ones.
Is it a longnose butterfly fish?

watch for red or blood in fins or at base where fin meets the flesh then deft a bact infection, as for food if you feed brine make sure it's infused with vitamins or soak it your self you need 2 feed a varied diet as possible for all your fish so they can get all the nutrition they need if not that's like you having a big Mac every day it will fill u up but lacking every thing your body needs

I have already purchase the 6 gallon tank ( fluval edge one), I was wanted to buy this tank since I already had three tanks in my living room, so I didnt buy them. But now, I do :) Also, I think I will be moving him since he has staying on the top of tank for few hours other than not moving much.
By the way, my fish does have this white stuff coming out on the surface of the skin, i would say its two clumps. The pellets you mean here is like the vitamins? If a link or a pic of the product for me will be the best :)
thank you
A 5 gallon tank SHOULD be ok, don't worry, the tail should be fairly easy to treat...it may be lympho, but since he doesn't have white clumps, i'm skeptic about that...in any case, don't panic, and maintain a good diet for your fish, like good pellets (pretty much any brand will do) Unfortunately, if your fish has lost appetite, there usually isn't much you can do, except hope to eliminate the disease before the starvation kills him. Actually, I think most disease cases can be handled fairly easily if you catch it early enough. keep us posted.

i do see little blood connects to the infected area, so should I be keeping him another tank for treatment , or just leave him for now?? Also, he has been not moving much around other than staying on top of the tank.
watch for red or blood in fins or at base where fin meets the flesh then deft a bact infection, as for food if you feed brine make sure it's infused with vitamins or soak it your self you need 2 feed a varied diet as possible for all your fish so they can get all the nutrition they need if not that's like you having a big Mac every day it will fill u up but lacking every thing your body needs

SubRosa

No question that you have a bacterial infection there. The only question is whether or not it's secondary to a parasitic infestation. The pic isn't good enough to determine if velvet is present or not, and a flukes wouldn't show to the naked eye at all. If you treat for velvet you will eliminate flukes as well, but the meds are more likely to have side effects than praziquantel which has very low toxicity to fish but eradicates flukes.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I hate to say "read this" but I think this forum is what you need to look through. It talks about disease, how to treat, what to treat with etc..... Also talks about nutrition, vitamins and the like. Read the stickys..... That's the best

Fish Diseases & Treatments

I hate to say "read this" but I think this forum is what you need to look through. It talks about disease, how to treat, what to treat with etc..... Also talks about nutrition, vitamins and the like. Read the stickys..... That's the best

Fish Diseases & Treatments
I just spent an hour reading this forum, I have to say it got some killing ****! I never thought about reading this forum, a lot of experiences from these threads are very knowledgeable!
Thanks

No question that you have a bacterial infection there. The only question is whether or not it's secondary to a parasitic infestation. The pic isn't good enough to determine if velvet is present or not, and a flukes wouldn't show to the naked eye at all. If you treat for velvet you will eliminate flukes as well, but the meds are more likely to have side effects than praziquantel which has very low toxicity to fish but eradicates flukes.

Yea I should've got a better pic but since its a butterfly does not stay put around much! I have moved him to my new tank already last night and put some medicine that was recommended by my lfs, I don't know for now. But will see in a week to see how it goes! Do t want to loose him since its was a gift from my friend, and he was also saying to come visit the fish yesterday, I had to tell him come another time. Didn't really wanna him to see it you know!
Will keep u guys informed!
Thanks!